+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retain inscription after varnish

Default Retain inscription after varnish

I'm starting to coat my boo blank with Helmsman Spar varnish but the handwritten inscription using a Micron 03 pen disappears. I tested this on the cork handle section (without the cork glued) of the rod so no harm done. What's the secret to retaining the inscription after varnishing?

disappears or washes away? I have not used a Micron 03 pen so I cannot be specific. If it is a latex or enamel you may need to let it dry more. Also clean the blank with some warm soap and water before the inscribing. I hope this is of some help.Again I have not used Micron 03 before.

I use Micron pens for my rods without any problems. How are you applying the varnish? Maybe the finish wasn't de-glossed before signing? My technique is to rub some 0000 steel wool where I am going to sign to take the shine off, wash it down with Dawn and water, sign then dip. If you are using a brush for the varnish, give the ink a few hours to dry and use a sable brush to give the signature area a very light coat and let that dry before doing the rest of the rod.

Thanks jklett. Perhaps I wasn't letting the micon ink "set in" before varnishing. I will lightly brush over the letttering first. I am applying the varnish with a balled up cloth. thanks again

I think perhaps you ae rubbing it too much with the balled up cloth. I also use Micron pens. I usually let the lettering dry for a day and other hit it with a blow dryer to help set it. Like JKlett I 0000 steel wool first. and lightly brush on the varnish. If you are using the balled up cloth then I would do this. rough the surface, letter, hit with some heat, let dry 12 hrs, brush varnish over just the lettering, let that dry, then apply the rest of your finish.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

cheffy: appreciate your input. much thanks

Blog Entries

How about a shot of spray fixatif? Inscribe, spray, wipe on finish. I use a wipe on finish and Micron pens on bamboo, too. I've never had an issue.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I use Faber Castell and Pilot brands. I have not had difficulty with these brands adhering or washing away. I do clean the area before hand with alcohol.

Thank you gents. I wasn't allowing the micron pen ink set long enough. Drying with a hair dryer helped. Much thanks again

NewTyer 1 Guest

I built my first Bamboo rod last year and wanted to inscribe it also but, it washed off everytime I went to brush over it. My fix was exactly what was proposed earlier, prep the area first by smoothing it out with steel wool, inscribe, spray over with what ever you decide to use, then varnish

+ Reply to Thread