+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Location & Guide Recommendations needed for Florida Tarpon in April/May 2012

Default Location & Guide Recommendations needed for Florida Tarpon in April/May 2012

Hi,

Would appreciate any recommendations for Location & Guide in Florida for Tarpon fishing in the April to May period. I'm not after trophy size fish but rather reliability on being able to get average size Tarpon (30-80lb?) to take a fly. It will be important if the location has a minimal probability of being disrupted by weather or tidal conditions as I will only have 2-3 days on the water due to work schedule. I had fly fished for Tarpon in Belize (mainly sight fishing) but would like to try Florida. Sight casting conditions will be preferred but I don't mind blind casting with heavy sinking lines if that increases the consistency and reliability factor.

Thanks in advance!

Fly caster99, there is a person, or was, on this sight who is a guide in Florida. I don,t remember his name but maybe someone else does.
    Good luck.
    Wyo-Blizzard

If I were going to fish for tarpon, I would probably go to either Homasassa, Tampa Bay or Boca Grande, probably in that order. April may be a little early for Homasassa and Tampa Bay, but those areas are less crowded than Boca Grande, which, during the tarpon run can be like fishing in a traffic jam. For Tampa Bay, check with Capt. Pat Damico - http://captpat.com. and for Homasassa check with Capt Earle Waters - http://homosassa-flyfishing.com/ . Both are very helpful and specialize in fly fishing.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread