+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furling Flurocarbon

Hybrid View

Default Furling Flurocarbon

I have been trying to furl a leader using flurocarbon and have been unsuccessfull as of now. The first time I tried it with Sportsmans Wharehouse Fluro and it broke snapped. Second time I tried to use Rio Poweflex and same thing happpened, but I did have enough left to be able to connect and redo the first leg. This time instead of breaking it crawled up as I was hanging it to unfurl and combine the two legs. I am guessing that I didn't have enough presure on them as I was furling in fear of breaking them, as they are very pricey. Why is the Fluro so hard to furl in comparison to my thread leaders? I have no problem what so ever with them.

Thanks,

Brandon

I just finished makeing 60 leaders (5' & 7') out of Berkley Vanish 2# test for a show and did not have a problem! Made 60 out of 4# without any problem too! I also did 60 each out of Berkley XL Mono with out incedent!
    Last edited by Jack Hise; 01-28-2012 at 06:43 PM.

The "Pig Tailing" will happen if the legs are twisted to tightly or if slack is allowed in it when hanging to furl (letting the weight bounce will do it).

I no longer hang Fluoro or Mono leaders to furl. I have a snap swivel mounted on the end of a piece off dowel. Hook a paper clip in the tippet end of the leader legs. Keeping tension on the legs lift them off the peg, the leader will furl as you relax tension. A few gentle pull and relax motions will finish it. A top of the line swivel and a drop or 2 of oil help.

I have been using this method for a couple of years after losing too many leaders to the bouncing weight!!

I understand how over twisting is going to break my leaders. My set up is with a 10% reduction. I am starting at 97' and doing a 10' reduction, so it is just over 10%. Would I be better off going at 9.5' then? I have a board with a two leg set up, and use a hand drill to furl. My taper is 60, 15, 15, 5, 5. I was using the tippet material so I could get a smaller diameter material to match my rod weight that I am using. The 2lb Vanish is .006' (.15mm) which is bigger than the .005 (.13) that I am looking for to do a 6-8 weight for my friend to take Salmon and Steelhead fishing. the wraps on what I was using would be 3,2,1 (14,10,6), where as the Vanish would be a 2,2,1 aand aa 1 on the second leg (10, 8,6). These are all with the half loops added on. Would this make a differance as there would be hardly any taper on the Vanish material. The tippet material says it has a break strength of 3lbs versus the 2lb on the Vanish as well. I am not doing anything differant with my thread leaders. I have done some mono leaders using Berkley before without any problem, but the two materials have a very differant feel to them.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Default P-Line

I have just found some P-Line in the diameter I am looking for. It is a copolymer and flurocarbon, I believe this means it is copolymer coated with flurocarbon. Is this correct? How does this effect the characteristics of a flurocarbon leader if any? I am especially looking at how it may sink or float in comparison to a straight flurocarbon leader.

Thanks,
    Brandon

It does not sink like fluorocarbon. I learned that a couple of years ago.

Jack,

How big of a difference is it as far as sinking, Or does it sink much? Would you say it works well as a sink leader to either nymph or throw streamers into some deeper holes?

Thanks,

Brandon

The "crawling = pigtailling....which means not enough tension....["pressure"] as you said. Very important to always maintain tension.

The breakage is because of "overtwisting" as John said...that would be relative to the tension applied as you are twisting....you need the right combination.

Are you hand holding a drill?

+ Reply to Thread