+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are the fly fishing shows this season?

Question How are the fly fishing shows this season?

Anyone attending this year's fly fishing shows? How are they measuring up to years past? I can't wait to attend the one we have here (The Fly Fishing Show Pleasanton, CA).
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I'm interested in this question as well. The Fly Fishing Show is coming to Lancaster PA this year and it will be the first one I've attended.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Blog Entries

Our Fly Fishing Show left our area a few years ago but I hear they are coming back in 2013, up in Lynwood, north of Seattle (I hate driving in Seattle traffic).

So, our Washington State Council Federation of Fly Fishers event in Ellensburg, the WA Fly Fishing Fair, has been the best bet in our state for the past 4 years. In my humble opinion, that is a great show and will be again this year. Plus, this year over in Spokane in July the FFF is holding its annual event, the International Fly Fishing Fair (formerly Conclave). That is going to be a fantastic event.

Meanwhile, what we have right now is the O'Loughlin WA Sportmen's Show here in Puyallup, WA. It is not a fly fishing show, being mostly hunting and gear fishing stuff, but Norm Norlander is here with his Nor-Vise and Denny Rickards is here with a booth and doing tying demos. Plus there are a few fly shops with their booths. Our WA State Council FFF has a booth, I have been working it everyday, and we have two excellent certified casters who put on casting demos and on the site casting clinics for those people asking for help with their casting. They also are doing fly tying demos.

It will be good to get the Fly Fishing Show back in our state. If you live near where one is being given, go to it.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 01-28-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

The one in College Park, MD closed down years ago. Lancaster isn't that far away but, unfortunately, we'll be out of town that weekend. Bummer, I'd like to check out Charlie Collin's hackle selection.

Regards,
    Scott

PADave. I'm planning on attending the show in Lancaster. Is it put on by the same outfit that promotes the one in Somerset, NJ?

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    PADave. I'm planning on attending the show in Lancaster. Is it put on by the same outfit that promotes the one in Somerset, NJ?
    The answer is, yes. Here is the link to the website where you can find out lots of information about all of these shows: http://www.flyfishingshow.com/

My son and I attended the show in Somerset, NJ yesterday. Although we were there for only a couple hours, there is more to see and do there than a person could do in 3 days, if you stayed the entire duration of the show (it's still open today and tomorrow).

Although the show itself there is nice, there are just too many people that go to it for my liking. With all the madding crowds, it reminds me of my working days walking down 5th Ave in New York City during rush hour. That's not how I like to enjoy a fly fishing experience. I'm sure the Lancaster, PA show will be considerably different, and smalller.

I attended one here in Atlanta last week. It was billed as a "light tackle" show, but it was mostly fly fishing. The highlight for me was Andy Mill demonstrating how to fight big tarpon. I got to talk to him briefly and drool over some Hardy 12wts.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    The one in College Park, MD closed down years ago. Lancaster isn't that far away but, unfortunately, we'll be out of town that weekend. Bummer, I'd like to check out Charlie Collin's hackle selection.

Regards,
    Scott
    You might not miss anything. Collins was not at the Somerset NJ show this year, along with a few other "regulars". Collins was the main reason I went this year.

Good luck, Tony

I didn't see Charlie Collins listed in the exhibitors for Lancaster. I'm lucky that I live 10 minutes away from the show and plan to do both days, all day. I can't wait. I always did the Eastern Sports and Outdoors show in Harrisburg, but each year there is less and less flyfishing there. This sounds much more to my liking.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

yes, Colliins was noticeably absent. Hope everything is OK and the economics hasn't adversely affected his being there

+ Reply to Thread