+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need help identifying parts of a bamboo rod

Hybrid View

1. Default need help identifying parts of a bamboo rod

I picked up some pieces of a couple of bamboo fly rods a while back at an auction and I'm wondering if there's any way to identify the rod from the top 2 sections.I have an H-I and a Montaque and the connectors on these pieces don't look like either of those.The reason that I'm wondering is that the pieces that I have look to be in near perfect condition and if I can identify it maybe I could pick up a rod off of ebay with a broken tip and put this one back in service again,I've included one picture,I have a couple others if needed.Thanks in advance.

100_2313.jpg 100_2314.jpg

Can yo also post a picture of the female half of the ferrules? Hard to tell from just the male ends that you posted. If I were to guess from these photos I would say either a Montague or Heddon.

Beau,

Almost impossible to identify the 'particular' rod from just the top two sections. From looking at the ferrules we might be able to tell you which 'brand' of rod it was....but...unless you get an exact 'match' as to 'model' 'line weight', even the year made can alter which ferrule was used, etc., the ferrules won't mate properly. Finding a 'prefect' match off of Ebay would be so close to impossible as to be a minor miracle if you did so. Now, if you found a shop that had a bunch, say several hundreds, of old rod parts laying about, you might get lucky and find a match....

And that's the key here. You have to get the ferrules to 'fit' each other. Luckily, all is not lost. A rod put together from non matching parts has no 'collectors' value. If you can find a butt section that is 'close' you can attach new ferrules to fit the butt/first section you have. You would get a rod you could at least fish with.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

4. Default

That's my only goal with it is to get a rod that would be usable,I figured that it would be a long shot but I'm a patient person.Here's another pic of the female half of the ferrule.

100_2315.jpg

Depending on the length of the two sections you have, you might be able to build a nice short bamboo rod simply by using the mid-section as the butt section - add a grip and reel seat and figure out the appropriate spacing for the guides and redo them. Just an idea. No telling what you would end up with - but it might prove to be a real gem.
    The fish are always right.

6. Default

They are 3' sections but that would only 6' long correct?I do have another Montague butt section that's the same length,I think,it needs a reel seat and the ferrule would have to be changed,is there any kind of a chart or anything for sizing ferrules?

+ Reply to Thread