+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Brown Trout

Default 3 Brown Trout

Well I finally did it. Living in Bliss Ny and having some of the nicest trout streams within a mile or so from me I have over come my frustration of tight quarters and managed to land 3 brown trout.

The East Koy and Wiscoy creeks are hidden treasures. The stocked brook trout and native brown trout await anglers of all types. Nestled in the thickest cover just waiting to eat up flies, tippets and lures they are a challenge for sure.

I tried it for the 1st time last year and ended it the same day. I lost flies, tippets and limited out on every darn tree and bush within a 2-mile radius. The only good thing that came out of the day was I managed to keep my feet under me. In the after noon a hatch appeared and by the time I got my nymph off and a fly I thought would match the hatch it stopped. To add more insult to injury my casts caught every darn bush, tree and even the bridge from where the hatch was rising. Frustrated I snapped the fly off and by the time I tied a new one on the hatch was done.

Reading the articles here and the posted Q & A has been a great help. I ventured back and hit a riffle with a bead head nymph made some nice drifts following the bubbles and bang a nice 14? Brown. My day was complete already.

I ventured down to the infamous bridge of last year and got my share of bushes but not as many. The creeks are from six foot wide to less than thirty foot across with brush and trees lurking everywhere to grab a fly of lure. I know I have improved because this year I managed to find a few submerged logs at the head of pools (G). I hung around long enough for a 2:30 Hatch of light colored two tailed flies around a size 10-12 and quickly changed and cast upstream and what do you know, two more nice browns.

I can?t thank all of you enough for posting and answering the questions by fellow members and myself without the smarta$$ answers. The articles each week are a great help in awareness and building of confidence for having a fish take my fly. The meat and potatoes on this board are great from Freshwater to Salt. The fishins have been a great help also; not for catching fish necessarily but for the info and friendships we are building across the country.

Thanks all

Old Geezer

Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could fish or hunt.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Hi old geezer,

I can relate to those feelings 100%! I was on a weekend camping/fishing trip a while back, and found a nice riffle near the camp. All weekend, just beyond my casting range, there would be this one fish that was always the first to rise. After a while, fish were everywhere. Not being able to cast that far, I did the only thing one can do. I became obsessed with that fish! (I did well fishing the riffle though; I wasn't about to allow an obsession to get in the way of a good rise! ha!) Anyway, our fishing club's last meeting had some presentations on casting technique. So, I practiced what was talked about, and on the last day, I decided to try again when he started to rise. First try and I placed the fly where I wanted, watched it drift past, and the fish complied. A nice turn, grab, and fish on! Shortly there after, she was released to go back to her feeding lane.

The satisfaction I felt at suddenly being able to place the cast where I couldn't before made my weekend. I can still visualise the fly landing and starting it's drift. The fact the fish even took the fly was a huge bonus. Now, if that fish was the biggest one around, it might make for a better "story", but in the end, this fish was about the same size as most of what I had been catching (~1.0 to 1.5 lbs). But then, it wasn't the fish that bothered me, it was being unable to cast to it that was frustrating.

It's great to know that one can still learn and improve!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Good Sir,

LOL..That just sounds better to me!!!....

Sounds as though Joe Humphreys Video : A Casting Approach To Dry Fly Tactics In Tight Brush would be a big help to your quests of trout in the thickets....A huge amount of info contained within...

If you have trouble finding a copy.

Call Flyfishers Paradise in State Collage PA...They carry it on both video and DVD.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Wow! Old Geezer, you're in my part of the world. I've been fishing the East Koy and Wiscoy for years. You gotta love those beautiful natives on the Wiscoy. It's one of my favorite streams. I fish the East Koy a fair amount earlier in the spring. It's a little more stable than some of the others.
    Those yellow flies you saw were probably March Browns. They've been coming off fairly steady on the Genny.

Yep a lesson learned everytime I venture to the water with the fly. Early morning I'll drift nymphs and emergers later. In the afternoon I'll take a break and let the water give away its secrets and honey holes. When the hatch occurs I hope to be in the right spot.

Can't beat it, or can we?

The Geezer
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Geezer, you're a true gentleman. Willing to share an obviously great fishin spot with us here on FAOL. Sorry to say I'm about 2 million miles from there and won't intrude on your stream but it's good to know you wouldn't mind if I could. Unfortunately living in Illinois, I can't return the favor of a great fishing spot unless you enjoy what is called "fishing" here on a charter boat with 4 or 5 tipsy chaps stumbling to the stern when the "captain" hollers " fish on". Whenever I'm offered that opportunity, I opt to mow my lawn (wait, I don't have a lawn so I mow the common property).

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Marco, I spent a year in Chicago, and enjoyed the strip mines down Joliet way and some awesome Salmon and Bass fishing.

Pspaint you'll see me around there or on the ponds catching Bluegills. Maybe you will take the time to show me a few spotas out my way.

I'll check out the video
    Philip

Hey Geez,,, I checked the list,, ya coming to the Michigan 'Fish-In'?

JC, We have a wedding, my nephew in Milton Mass.
    Next year we are open and no weddings. We will attend a few more next year for sure.

Jeff, this site is the closets for a fly fishing club in my neck of the woods and it ain't too bad either

Philip

No problem Old Geezer. We'll have to hook up sometime. I see we share the same first name as well.
    Phil

+ Reply to Thread