+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loop Wing BWO

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Loop Wing BWO

Hopefully this will pass for a BWO?
    What pattern do you find to be the best for the BWO?
    Thanks,
    Byron

NewTyer 1 Guest

Not a bad looking fly. I have never seen one where the wing goes from the back of the thorax to the head. Interesting. Still better than what I could do.

Blog Entries

My BWOs have devolved to a TMC 900BL hook, some olive dun thread, and a CDC wing. They don't look like much, but the fish love them. I don't see much point in making a complicated fly, especially in that small of a size, when the fish don't seem to mind the simple ones.

Here is an older version, on a 2488:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    My BWOs have devolved to a TMC 900BL hook, some olive dun thread, and a CDC wing. They don't look like much, but the fish love them. I don't see much point in making a complicated fly, especially in that small of a size, when the fish don't seem to mind the simple ones.
    R
    Here is an older version, on a 2488:

Very nice. Ever try a CDC comparadun in those sizes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    Not a bad looking fly. I have never seen one where the wing goes from the back of the thorax to the head. Interesting. Still better than what I could do.
    How do you tie your loop wing s?
    Thanks,
    Byron

Lightbulb Your loop wing BWO ...

... is very similar in construction to my loop wing drake emerger. On the drake, I have been using CDL for tailing, in a sparser amount than on your fly, my hackling is a bit more pronounced, or fuller, than on your BWO, and the CDC wing is less pronounced. ( Scott - don't bother looking for the mahagony dun and March brown versions. I'm pretty sure they disappeared when I had to resolve the problem I had with photobucket.com last spring. )

Regarding your question about what works - one that I have done quite well with is my CDL Parachute BWO. Follow the link.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...041309fotw.php

For emergers, I really like the Quigley Cripple, and Scott Sanchez has a PFD ( personal floatation devise ) Emerger that does well but is a bit difficult for me to tie in BWO sizes. It is similar to a Quigley Cripple, and the PFD part of it a foam wing ( rather than deer hair ) around which the hackle is wound. That pattern actually did very well for me several years ago tied for a drake emergence on a neat backcountry stream down in SE Idaho, and for a huge midge that comes off just below the falls on Fall River just outside the SW corner of Yellowstone National Park.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 01-24-2012 at 01:50 AM.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    Here's the way Jason Borger designs and ties this fly:

http://fishfliesandwater.com/flies-tying/loop-wing-dun/

Byron,

Nice tie. John Scott posted some pics of a loopwing he used for the March Brown and mahogany hatches. have to look for them.

Regards,
    Scott

BWOs are a favorite subject for me. They provide the best dry fly fishing of the year for me (at least in part because they tend to come when the human hatch is at its lowest ebb).

I make mine with two materials: a tuft of duck flank and a tuft of Zelon. This photo is so closeup it looks big. But it is tied on a #22 scud hook. Actually maybe this one is a #20. But I often use 22s. Using two materials only keeps it simple enough for small hooks, still with enough flotation to survive those 25mph Oct/Nov wind gusts. DG's fly wins the simplicity contest, for sure. But maybe not the gusty flotation contest. Lot's of good flies here.

Last edited by pittendrigh; 01-24-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Default Bwo

pittendrigh, is the grey z-lon used as the thorax?

+ Reply to Thread