+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garry

Hybrid View

Default Garry

Saw this pattern, called "Garry", in one of my fly-tying books, decided to give it a go:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I like that fly. It's a bit like a (black and blue) Mickey Finn.

AlanB Guest

Thats the Garry Dog.

This pattern is reputed to have been born in a tackle shop where a visiting
    minister was asked for some hair from his accompanying Golden Retriever’s tail.
    This was used to form part of the wing of a fly being tied in the premises.
    Nowadays a substitute of yellow bucktail or similar hair is used for this part
    of the wing. The name of the dog was supposedly Garry hence the name Garry dog.
    Others say it was the ministers name hence Garry’s dog I sometimes wonder
    if it has connections with the River Garry in the Scottish Highlands. Regardless
    of its origin the Garry Dog has taken many Salmon and Trout and it is a very
    successful fly.

I suspect that the Mickey Finn takes after this fly.
    Cheers,
    C.

I won't argue with you, you know a LOT more about it! The color scheme caught my eye.

It was simply called "Garry" in Peter Gathercole's book,"The Fly-Tying Bible".
    http://www.amazon.com/Fly-tying-Bibl...7346005&sr=8-1

I like your background information a lot better! Maybe they omitted the "Dog" part of the name when they stopped using dog hair?
    I didn't have red bucktail, so I substituted craft fur. And I didn't have blue-dyed guinea fowl, so I substituted a kingfisher-blue dyed hackle.

I was a bit careless with the black nail polish over the head threads. Drat.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I thought it was going to be a Pink Snail imitation. I am pleasantly surprised it isn't. Good tye!

Blog Entries

Whatever the name or origin, it is a beautifully tied fly

AlanB Guest

Nail polish was what I used until I got hold of some of the new UV cured resin. I will not be going back to nail polish or head cement! My current resin cures in 15 seconds but will be ordering a new supply this week. It cures in 1 to 3 seconds depending on the thickness you apply. No more racks of drying flies on the bench to pick up any odd bits of fluff floating around.

If you want your wings to stay put on this kind of fly take a locking turn around the wing after tying in. Than whip over the locking turn. It works with any compressable hair (not squrrel or goat). Makes the wing very secure. Here's a photo to prove it.
    http://www.crackaigflies.co.uk/Lock Wing.jpg
    The hook, a Salar hook from Partridge, is held in vice grips. The wing is only tied in, no glue or varnish. As you can see it is held strongly enough to streighten the hook.
    If the locking turn is taken tip side of the tie in point the wing will sit up a little. If you want it to sit lower take the turn around the butts of the wing. Brilliantly simple way of making a more secure wing.

Most of the ones I tie commercially are on double salmon irons. Singles are growing in popularity, but I don't get asked for many. It can also be dressed as a tube fly or on a Waddington shank. If you tie it this way the tail and yellow butt are ommited. Also most people seem to want them with jungle cock eyes.

Also it has become the norm to incorporate some flash in the wing. I usually use a couple of strands of reas Crystal Flash between the two colours of the wing.

It all sounds like a lot of changes, but doesn't it really doesn't make the fly unrecognisable

(Sorry the beard looks a little dark in this shot. It is tied from blue jay)
    Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 01-23-2012 at 08:55 PM.

That IS a nicer head, Alan. I guess I could go back and add some UV resin. I've been using Clear Cure Goo for other patterns, I didn't think about it for this one. Great tip!

Its probably silly...but after I tied this, I kept thinking it would look pretty cool with a head that is some shade of Purple.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 01-23-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread