+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winston new 5 piece rod

Hybrid View

Default Winston new 5 piece rod

I see Winston has a new 5 piece rod that sells for $895.00. WOW!

It's the 24k gold built into the rod. They are certainly raising the pricing threshold that's for sure. Since they
    will be breaking the ice with pricing like this, I am sure that the other manufacturers will follow....of course it will
    be well timed.

Unbelievable! And worst part of it is that it will probably sell.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Bummer if they'd only had offered it in a four piece model I would've rushed down and placed an early order.

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know how that price stacks up against a couple of others when adjusted for inflation.

In 1986 I purchased an Orvis Boron Graphite 9' 6" - 8 weight for $ 385.00.
    In 2001 I purchased a Rancho Cordova model Powell Tiboron 9' - 9 wieght for $ 725.00.
    So I guess in 2012, $ 895.00 isn't really that far out of line...What's a top shelf, side by side or over under upland bird gun run these days ?

Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 01-22-2012 at 02:59 AM.

I am so happy that I bought some of the last generation LT blanks at a discount. I know the new version is boron, but I do like the feel of the older LT. And who knows with the new 5 pc price, maybe it makes it worth more?

Dave,

Top shelf S X S start around $5000 and you can pay whatever you want. O/U around $1200 on up. You can get Turkish utility S X S for $1000 for a nice one. Rods are cheap by comparison.

Bob

Bob,

All the SXS and O/U, foreigh and domestic are all fine. However, my REM. 1100 brings down everything I point it at !

Crunchy

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    Dave,Top shelf S X S start around $5000 and you can pay whatever you want. O/U around $1200 on up. You can get Turkish utility S X S for $1000 for a nice one. Rods are cheap by comparison.Bob

...and how much would you suppose that $5000.00 upland gun weighs? Because if I'm doing the math right and if the stated catalog weights are correct, the only Winston that I'd be interested in right now is running at $ 5,088.00 per pound.

That's a bootin' deal !
    Dave

Just curious, which Winston 5 pc rod are you seeing at that price? On their site, the 5 pc rods are listed at $750.00, which seems to be in line with the high end offerings from Sage and Orvis and a little less than the Winston boron rods. Are these prices crazy? Sure they are, but the market is what the market is, and obviously someone is willing to pay those prices, or they wouldn't sell them. Won't be me (I build all of mine now with very inexpensive blanks), but I'd never begrudge somebody wanting to own what they think is the ultimate tool/toy if that's what makes them happy (or if they don't know any better); keeps the folks in Twin Bridges and Bainbridge Island in business.

Regards,
    Scott

ScottP,

The rod is the Winston BIIIX TRAVEL ROD, 9', 4-6wts. One can purchase the 4 pc., in the same rod lengths and weights for $100.00 less...saw this on my home forum and just don't believe an extra section and minimal space savings are worth the price...

http://www.cabelas.com/fly-fishing-r...:referralID=NA

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread