+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alaska - Best time?

Hybrid View

Default Alaska - Best time?

A neighbor is heading up to Anchorage this summer and is asking when is best to go? They are driving, plans on spending a couple of weeks.
    Your suggestions please?

Hap? You around?

Blog Entries

Just got back from Las Vegas (but I cannot tell what happened there!) and am jumping through a lot of "catch-up" hoops right now.

Feel free to have them contact me... This is a slightly larger than average state and they have some options!

The Kenai River rainbow fishing season opens mid-June and salmon runs are very timing dependant... The Kenai has never come down following the glacial lake release upstream... and may be a problem for a while. A large lake forms under a glacier and every so often gets high enough and dumps. Some floods can be huge. The Alaska Fly Fishers canceled their 2011 annual clean-up on the river because of it. The lake is still draining and the river is staying high.

In general, everything in AK is likely to be late this coming spring... We have had 6 major wind "events" so far this year of hurricaine speeds including one at 122mph and another of 108mph clocked on the hillside. The news has been showing our snow load and it is the most I have seen, though I have only lived here since 1964...
    art

Boy, that's a wide-ranging question. I'm guessing your friends will be hoping to fish while they're up here. Here's what I recommend to all my family and friends with the same sort of plans:

First, buy a current copy of "THE MILEPOST." This is a travel guide to Alaska that's about the size and thickness of the annual Cabela's catalogue. It gives specific, detailed information on just about every location in the state that you can get to by driving. I buy a new one every year just to find out which motels and restaurants have opened or closed and which roads have washouts or repair projects in the works. http://milepost.com/

N
    ext, not knowing just when in the summer your friends are going to be here, I suggest they get a copy of the run-times for salmon and best catching periods for other fish. http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/runtime.htm

H
    eck, a big part of a trip like this is the fun you have when you're planning it.

And, for sure, contact a local expert, like Hap, to get the inside information you just can't get from travel guides or tackle stores.

Pat

+ Reply to Thread