+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rod warrantees? reputable companies

Default rod warrantees? reputable companies

the unfortunate one [me]
    i believe i have a very legitamate grievance, and really don't know where to turn to''
    i am writing over a forum i recently read about rod warrantees, i know i am not the smartest guy around, i wish i could have this posted where everyone that shops from thomas and thomas would be able to read it before they buy a rod from t&t, or even sent to the ceo or president of thomas and thomas rods.
    maybe 10 or 12 years ago i paid over $500 for t&ts, SLT series rod, very beautiful 4 piece, 91\2 ft, 8 wt rod, very beautiful, each section of the rod had a serial number on it, i adored this rod i was the best advocate for t&t if they only knew, every fly fisherman i came in contact with i praised my rod how much better t&t was than sage, or any other rod maker.
    then several years ago a disaster and my rod got broken, i figured well ,i had sent my warrantee in, i know it had been at this time about 8 years,, and i no longer had the warrantee information, but i had paid about $520 quite a bit of money in i think 1998 or 99, so i should at least get my rod repaired at cost if not for free, i sent the rod in a tube to the company, well, i waited and waited i really thought that a company like thomas and thomas would at least write me back with some offer or explain my options. after 3 or 4 months of waiting i looked up thier email address and wrote them another letter, at least now they sent me an e mail. to my disappointment they informed me they no longer made the SLT series, and they were willing to sell me a comperable 8wt rod with a 40% discount, not a mention of my warranteee and what it included, i had sent the warrantee card in as soon as i bought the rod'
    neeedless to say i amvery upset with such a greedy company as thomas and thomas. at the very least they should have made repairs at cost, even with a 40% discount they are making a big profit what percentage do you think a dealer gets the rods for, and or the saalesman.. they are only about big buisnessn do not care at all about the little man, just the profits. i wish i knew a way to show the fly fishing public what this company is really about. i'd love to post this letter in fly fisherman mag the page next to thier advertisement ha ha, maybe one of you readers knows something i could do or someone from PR at t&t.
    i probrbly wouldn't be so up set if i were still able to work, and made the money i used to but i am on a very strict fixed income, to buy a new rod like that one even at 40% off i may as well buy a new cadilac...well if nothing else it felt good to get this off my chest and who knows some one may be able to post this in the right place...thanx for listeninh

I don't know exactly what the written warrany was on your rod at the time of purchase, or how that warranty may or may not have legally transferred to, and been assumed by, the new company, but I just found this article on the web FYI:

May 03, 2011Greenfield, MA – April 11, 2011. Islamorada, FL based fly fisherman Mark Richens today provided further details relating to his recent acquisition of the Thomas & Thomas brand and manufacturing facilities.
    Richens has formed a new company and will commence selling bamboo, glass and graphite rods under the Thomas & Thomas brand with immediate effect. Key members of the former Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers Inc. team have accepted positions with the new company having previously been laid off by Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers Inc. in March 2011. Mark Richens will lead the company and will be relocating to Massachusetts after this year’s tarpon season. By way of this press release Richens confirmed that his team is working with dealers to ensure a smooth transition for past, present and future customers.
    Richens also confirmed that existing Thomas & Thomas rod warranty obligations will be honored by his company. Anglers returning damaged rods should address packages to Thomas & Thomas at the usual address.
    Describing his motives for the acquisition Richens said, “To my mind Thomas & Thomas is one of the last true American rod builders. Fly fishing devotees around the world gravitate toward the brand. I am no different and am privileged to be working with a vastly experienced crew in New England. There are many unsung heroes here who have forgotten more than I’ll ever know about the quest for fly rod perfection.
    I am, however, under no illusions and this is not a vanity purchase. There is work to be done to ensure all operational aspects of our business exude the same quality as the finished rods themselves. This means rebuilding relations so that we can work closer with great fly shops; engaging more with the guides and anglers that vigorously put our products to the test on the water; improving our warranty repair turnaround times and getting more involved with initiatives that improve the future outlook for the most important players in our industry – young people and the fish themselves.

I cracked up my 8 year old car and sent it back. They said they would not fix my car for free. They didn't even offer me a discount on a new car. I'll never buy another car from that company again!!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I cracked up my 8 year old car and sent it back. They said they would not fix my car for free. They didn't even offer me a discount on a new car. I'll never buy another car from that company again!!
    Did your car come with a life time warranty?

I broke a 10plus year old Sage. Normaly on a rod that old I would have hung it up thinking I got my use from it but it was one of my favorite rods. I explained to Sage it was my fault and asked them to repair the rod and send me a bill for the repair costs. They sent me back a repaired rod with no bill. A life time warranty is just that a life time warranty and T&T should honor it just as Sage does.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

so much for t&t they never even returnd my old rod

thier being bought by someone else doesn't help me they never even returned the old rod

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

I agree with Kerry, but they can't give you what they don't have. If T&T just doesn't have the materials to re-manufacture a section, then an adjustment should be made and to me, 40% off on a new rod that could go for what? $700 and some change? That isn't my idea of a fair adjustment on what was a top shelf rod of it's time.
    My advice, stop with letters and email, pick up the phone and maintain an even strain - keep the emotion out of it. When you speak to them be prepared with a realistic counter offer, know exactly which new model rod you're after, etc. If you can't get satisfaction from the warranty dept. work it up through the food chain to the decision makers.

At least there still is a T&T around to have a problem with. What if they were no longer in business at all?

Best, Dave

I think T&T may have a legal problem since they didn't return your rod. AND it might be possible for one of the expert rodmakers who post here to repair the rod...
    insist on getting it back! One of the top people at T&T has had an ongoing problem with arrogance, unfortunately it sounds like you ran into that. Sorry, this should never have been handled that way.

It can't hurt to call or write the (new) company and give them your story. You never know about human nature. It could very well reaffirm your faith in humanity.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

T&T has always been bad about their warranties. I bought a 9' 5 wt. Horizon when that series was first introduced. The cork on it was crap. After several outtings the grip began to fall apart. I sent it back to T&T and it took 5 months and constant phone calls to get the rod back with a new grip. I have not and never will buy any thing from T&T again. Say what you want about TFO but most of my rods are ones I assembled on TFO blanks. I have used their warrany twice, $25.00.00 fee and a one day turn around. I had my rod back in a few days rewarpped the new section and was fishing in within a week.

Lanny

+ Reply to Thread