+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shipping gear ahead

Default Shipping gear ahead

Anybody have any experience and opinions about this? Any tips?

I have a fly fishing trip lined up to the east coast this spring. I normally travel by car and have all of my fly fishing gear packed in a big duffel bag in the back of my SUV, but this time I'll be flying. It will cost at least $35 each way to put it on the plane with me and it will be a hassle to lug around in addition to my suitcase. So I'm thinking about the option of just shipping it both ways via FedEx or UPS.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I have shipped and also checked it at the airlines. I do not carry on luggage, just laptop. Both shipping and check in work fine. I have never had a problem with either. If you ship make sure that the place you are sending it to is aware and will sign for the package. Also make sure that you have enough insurance to make you feel comfortable if there is a loss. Both UPS, USPS and FedX have a standard $100. loss insurance. Addditional insurance can be purchased. Package so as to draw attention to your stuff. If you check in at the airline you can also ask them about addtional insurance. Not all carriers have this available. With the airlines and TSA do not use aluminum rod tubes. Plastic cordura or PVC tubes work better. When shipping across country leave yourself addtional time in case of weather or other possible disruptions in shipping.
    Last edited by hardhat; 01-18-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    When shipping across couintry leave yourself addtional time in case of weather or other possible disruptions in shipping.
    Learned that lesson Christmas 2010 when I shipped presents to Montana Parcel Post and they didn't arrive until December 30 (the day after we left to come back home). Snowstorms disrupted mail delivery across the country and, as I found out, Parcel Post gets bumped to low priority. If you do decide to ship your gear, at least consider carrying on one rod/reel, just-in-case. I've had pretty good luck shipping gear (although I don't do it any more), but there was the time I sent a rod back from a trip out west and UPS held it hostage in Duluth for 10 days.

Regards,
    Scott

oldfart,

Not knowing how long you plan on staying and fishing on the East coast, but, have you checked how much it will cost you to just rent the fishing gear you will need to fish from one of the local outfitters or fly shops? Most fly shops that offer guided trips also offer rental on waders and fly rods by the day. If it is going to be an extended stay fishing trip, this may not be an option.

Just some thoughts or ideas.......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have shipped gear many times to Anchorage, Alaska from Burlington, Washington. I called ahead to my hotel and told them about my package arrival time. They had it ready for me when I checked in and even carried it to my room. I used UPS because of convience of location of UPS package store near my home. I would ship in both directions. The guy that operated the UPS store near my home knew me and knew how I wanted my rods packaged. I sent them in thier tubes, then contained in a heavy cardboard tube the store had. If I shipped other gear such as waders and such it all went into a standard cardboard box but usually I used checked luggage for this stuff in a gear bag. Never had an issue. Well, Alaska Airlines lost my gear bag once with about two grand worth of gear in it. Kind of a hassle.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

My gear is always shipped ahead on my annual Montana trip.

I use USPS. Never a problem.............knock on wood!

Can't add anymore to what has all ready been stated.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

+ Reply to Thread