+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dai Riki Hooks

Hybrid View

Default Dai Riki Hooks

I quit buying Dai Riki hooks because I thought they were weak and brittle. I decided to try them again because they are so cheap. Well, The first three 125s I de-barbed shattered. I don't get it, some people are always singing their praises, but I keep getting crap.
    Thanks for listening,
    Bruce

Blog Entries

Very similar to other reports I have heard.

Blog Entries

My experience is that some models have serious problems, where others do not. I have only found two or three faulty 700s, for instance, but gave up on 135s many years ago.

Hate to say it, Bruce, but it may well be your technique.

I use Dai-Riki almost exclusively and out of hundreds of flies tied on 700's, 320's, 75's, 280's, 135's, 125's, and several other Dai-Riki hooks, I've only had a few break while crushing the barb and I don't recall ever losing a fish because of a broken hook.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 01-18-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    The fish are always right.

Never had a Mustad break, but they do cost a bit more.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

The only Dai-Riki hook I use is the 135 from size 8 down to 22. I will not give them up. I have never had a faulty one

Blog Entries

Not to hijack this thread but, I was told to crip the hook with a pair of pliers from the front of the hook ie the pliers going the same direction of the hook. I do this and have very little breakage. I have been told if you come from the side you get more? any comments or thoughts OH and I havent had any more problems with Diriki than any other brand

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Bruce,

I've been tying a bunch of flies for my spring trip, mostly on 125s and 135s size 14-22; haven't had one point break yet. I use flat nose/flat jaw pliers which I think makes a difference for me:

I have had problems in the past with broken points (usually on flies #16 and smaller) using my forceps and I think the serrated jaws had something to do with that. Sorry you're having issues with your hooks.

Regards,
    Scott

Default Re: Dai Riki Hooks

I have been using Daiichi Hooks and have had not a lick of problems. That being said I can't say much about the stuff over size 10 as most of the hooks I use are 14-26.

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

I do most of my tying on Dai-Riki hooks and have very rarely had them break --maybe 2 out of 500 or less. I use a flat jaw pliers to debarb and usually come in from the side as that is easier for me and it seems to work fine. Most of the flies I tie are in the 16 to 20 range. Wonder if the problem is a bad batch?

Here's a bonus tip for Dai-Riki hook users. Know those flexible magnet sheets that are often printed with messages from plumbers, pizza joints, etc in the hope you'll stick their phone number on your refrigerator? Cut them in to the right size to fit the Dai-Riki hook packages. They help to avoid spilling hooks and seem to make it easier to pull out one hook at a time.

+ Reply to Thread