+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What stream would you pick?

Hybrid View

Default What stream would you pick?

Assume for a moment that you don't get to go fishing nearly often enough. A day off is unheard of and when you do get those days off, the honey-do list is way to long to consider going fishing. And then one day as if by magic, the day is here and you can go fishing. There is of course no dilema at all, you are definitely going fishing. However there is one question that you wonder about. Where to go? there are a few choices to chose from, but which one would you choose?

1st, A 2 hour drive to a world class trophy trout stream, where you'll stand a chance to catch a really nice brown or bow. The only drawback is the number of anglers that will be there. You may have to wait on the perfect spot for someone else to finish fishing that spot.

2nd, A small trout stream where you are practically guaranteed complete solitude. The fish are small and perhaps not real plentiful. It's about an hour drive from your home.

3rd, A warm water creek, less than 10 minutes away. It's not a great fishery, and you'll probably see at least one other person fishing or a group of people swimming and normally drunk.

So there are your choices. Which would you choose?

just curious,
    hNt

PS, I prefer the second one, though due to time restraints spend more time at the third.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Blog Entries

The second one. If I have to wait on someone to move, it isn't a perfect spot.
    Bear in mind I live in a place where I can fish a #1 stream with #2 crowding, tho, so I may be spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    The second one. If I have to wait on someone to move, it isn't a perfect spot.
    Bear in mind I live in a place where I can fish a #1 stream with #2 crowding, tho, so I may be spoiled.
    Yes you are!

hNt,

Yes!
    Mark

The way my trips go, I would:
    Drive like hell to number one, fish until I got totally pissed at my lack of skill and the number of jerks crowding me, then

Hit number two on the way home, just to flush the stink of impolite people and poor skills...probably more likely to pick up a few fish there once I settled down, too.

Once I get home, if time still remained in the day, I would get the kids and head over to the warmwater with some bait and enjoy my 5 year old daughter catching little dinky bluegills you can't eat because of all the crap in the water...but they are still fun to catch.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

#2, that's why I fish.

I gotta agree with dub, must be nice to be so spoiled dg.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

If those were the only choices, I might go take a golf lesson or something. Maybe sporting clays.

Blog Entries

Hung, I would like to point out that Dub and I fish some of the same waters, so he is just as spoiled as me, possibly more so.

I still, in all honesty, prefer the second situation. I can always find a place to dredge up a "trophy" trout with a little work, but fishing my way up a mountain stream with a short rod and a dry fly is hard to beat.

+ Reply to Thread