Thank goodness I don't know any of the people that Neil is talking about. All the fishermen that I know would probably pass his benchmark. As for technical, Neil's friend JC was a ground breaker in many of the technical aspects of our age. Just go back and look at his aquarium project and his early work on flylines with the founders of SA. And the very soul of fly fishing leads us away from black line, cane poles, and a few feathers on a bone hook.

I have great respect for those who love bamboo and silk. It's kinda like waxed cotton and cuban cigars. I own and use them too and really appreciate the nostalgia. But remember, even these were eons beyond cane poles and horse hare.

I also appreciate the mavents of the technical side of our sport. Were it not for graphite and weight forward lines, fishing for reds and snook would be a much greater challenge. Can't see doing that with a cane pole.

So there are many facets to this sport. And because you don't like the way others are doing it, doesn't mean they are wrong. And it doesn't mean you can't still tie a black line to the end of a cane pole and fish the way it has been done by farm boys for eons. Enjoy! There is pleanty of room for all.

Godspeed,

Bob