+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backpack Recommendations. Sage DXL

Hybrid View

Scott,

I can see where fit would be important for a 50-60 pound long hike or multi day pack, but this is a day pack.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I'd check here if I were looking for a backpack:
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/backpacks/

here, too:
    http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin...ikonboard.cgi?

I would definitely not buy a backpack blind; don't know who makes Simms packs, but fit in something like this is a very personal matter.

Regards,
    Scott

There's the Sage DXL and the DXL Typhoon. The Typhoon is great for carrying your waders, but it's the much more expensive one.
    I carry my water on a belt and carry my rod, without the tube.

Randy

Ten years ago I was looking for a suitable day pack for fishing. At that time there were few fishing specific packs. I bought a daypack at REI for $60 that had a padded waist belt, wide padded shoulder straps, a sternum strap, and side pockets that would hold water bottles, rods in our out of their tubes, or other things. It would also hold my wading boots and breathable waders, which I pack in a plastic bag and then put into the pack. I devised a simple mechanism for attaching a small chest pack to the sternum straps. I have worn this pack for 8 hours a day or more. In many respects it is superior to any of the fishing specific packs I have seen. That particular model of day pack is long discontinued but REI offers many other similar style packs for less than $100, either under their label or other labels. Other outfitters besides REI offer similar packs.

And I echo the advice on trying a pack on before buying. When I purchase my pack at REI I was able to load it up to see how it felt with different loads.

Blog Entries

Steck, speaking as someone who has carried around a day pack with ten or fifteen pounds in it for most of my adult life, I can tell you that fit is VERY important, if you want to be able to use your arms or walk upright on a regular basis. If you are going to wear it often, a pack should fit as well as a pair of shoes, with nothing rubbing, poking, pinching, dangling in the wrong place, etc. It takes very little weight and very little time before a good suspension system becomes a must. Stop any high school or college student on the street and ask them how important it is that their bookbags are comfortable.

Never thought about fit. Thanks so much,
    Randy

I teach backpacking and own and carry three Go-Lite http://www.golite.com/packs-and-lugg...ntry-ultralite bags (since we've left "fishing" packs behind). They're on sale right now. I recommend the Jam ($69) for a day or week-end pack. The Pinnacle ($79) for a week long pack and the Gust (which they don't make any more) for a long distance pack. These are ultralight bags so don't expect much in the way of waist belts and padding. You only need padding and waist belts if you overload your pack... (Yes, I have cut the handle off toothbrushes and the margins off of maps to reduce weight) They are very durable.
    Last edited by billhouk; 01-17-2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: added prices

+ Reply to Thread