+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Entymology

Default Winter Entomology

I'm completely ignorant (in the original sense of the word) about what critters may be in the winter water. One of my resolutions is to learn more about my local rivers, and I'd like to gather and identify what's in them. Although here in RI the temps have been around 40 degrees or higher, I'm still interested in learning what I can.

Here's the question: What's the best way to gather bugs, particularly in winter? I've heard of turning stones over, which I will do. Is a kick net still useful? I know it will be seriously cold, even with relatively mild temps, but I'd like to give this a shot.

If you have a favorite way of gathering, preserving, and identifying aquatic life, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!
    Hugh
    Last edited by teachmarkey; 01-13-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: A misspelling spotted by a smart reader!

I've "harvested" bugs (just to look at, didn't keep them) with a window screen attached to 2 poles, but found the easiest way is to get an old nylon stocking and put it over my landing net to sift the drift.

Regards,
    Scott

Arrow Turning over rocks ...

... and looking at and photographing ( with some form of scale reference ) the insects found on them is a great way to gather valuable information.

Beyond that, I think an aquarium net is an essential for two distinct approaches. First, to catch and photograph the insects that you have "harvested" by kicking up stuff from the streambed, as opposed to turning over rocks. Second, to sample what in the way of insect life is freely flowing in the stream at any point in time ( not much in the winter but during the season while you are studying or fishing a hatch or multiple hatches ).

Follow the link for reference. A 10" model would be my preference. You can probably find something comparable in a local pet store.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/net12.html

Don't underestimate the value of good pix. Especially if you are tying, and more so if you are creating, your own flies.

John
    The fish are always right.

this time of year most nymphs will not be full size yet. they will not get to full size to just before hatching time so if you are looking for sulphurs (example) they most likely will be smaller than a size 24..
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Blog Entries

A simple kick net can be made from two 1/2" or larger dowels, a couple feet of window screen, and some glue. Be cautious of where you are kicking up bugs, avoiding spawning areas and such. Dave Whitlock's book is a good entry-level resource on that. If you want to get really technical, it gets a bit harder. *S*

https://fsplaces.fs.fed.us/fsfiles/u...e/IMG_1640.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    A simple kick net can be made from two 1/2" or larger dowels, a couple feet of window screen, and some glue. Be cautious of where you are kicking up bugs, avoiding spawning areas and such. Dave Whitlock's book is a good entry-level resource on that. If you want to get really technical, it gets a bit harder. *S*

https://fsplaces.fs.fed.us/fsfiles/u...e/IMG_1640.JPG
    Your photo seems to have additional accessories that assist with the usage of the net. I never seem to have these with me when I am fishing.

Blog Entries

Those accessories are about twelve, if I recall the class correctly. But it was the only pic I had of the nets in use.

I am at a loss here, what is Entymology?

Entymology is the study of insects. In this case, of course, the insects I'm talking about are those living in streams.

Oh, I thought it is "entomology" is it the same thing, cause google isn't helping?

+ Reply to Thread