+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LL Bean Double L Fly Rods?

Hybrid View

Default LL Bean Double L Fly Rods?

Hi-

I've been eyeballing the LL Bean Double L fly rods recently both for their price and decent looks. Anyone out there have any experience with any of these rods that can comment on action, build quality, or any general comments about the series?

Thanks,
    S

I had one that I sold to WarrenP. I would compare it to the older St. Croix Imperials, but with a little better fit and finish. I would classify it as a Med/Fast action with a beautiful translucent finish. It has ferrule alignment indexes and high gloss quality wood reel seat. I don't have the best of casting strokes but 60+ feet with tight loops was common for me. The only reason I sold it was because I needed the $$$.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I bought on last year and returned it without ever taking it out on the water. I personally found it to be much closer to a medium action and it just didn't suit my casting stroke at all. Given that I also found the fit/finish of it to be a little substandard returning it was easy.

The handle wasn't wrapped in plastic so when they put the "made in china" sticker on it, it left nice goopy residue behind when I tried to remove it. The rod bag was of such thin and flimsy material as to be translucent and I seriously doubt it provided much if any protection beyond scratches and even that would be dubious. The rod tube was very nice, but honestly that was about the only thing I found to like. Build quality is in line with other offshore produced rods with the exceptions noted.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Well, I guess my rod was an earlier model. I heard the blanks were made by G. L. Loomis.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread