+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auckland Upper harbor

Default Auckland Upper harbor

Hi guys, well after the worst summer weather in a long time i have given up waiting for the rivers to be nice and instead yesterday went for a walk along Meola Reef in the upper Waitamata harbour. I have ben playing with swf for a while but have never realy given it a serious go. I met a friend out there and he showed me the area and the chanels and holes and also very graciuosly let me fish along side him.
    Well what can I say, I forgot to take a camera! Matt manged about 5 or 6 snapper up to about 18 inches and I managed my first ever salt fly snapper at about 12 inches, then another a little bigger plus a couple of small kahawhai. All in all a great afternoon fishing from the oyster covered reef in 25 knots of howling wind and only casting to water about knee deep. I have to say it was an absolute blast! So much so that I am planning to head back there today after work.
    My wife rekons I am mad as I already have a cold, but hey how can fishing ever make anything worse?
    All the best.
    Mike

I have always found that spending time outdoors in the fresh air speeds up the recovery process. Fish on mad man!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Well I hit the same spot last night, wind was howling again, but this time straight in to our faces, made getting any distance a problem.
    I managed two small snapper about 12 inches long and my mate Matt managed about 4 up to about 16 inches long.
    Then it rained. My cold however is not getting any worse, so I may give it another go on the weekend. This spot is right in the middle of the city, while fishing we are looking directly at the harbor bridge and the sky tower, it is remarkable to be able to fish so close to home from the shore.
    By the way it does not pay to try walking a mile or so over oyster covered rocks in neoprene booties, even the ones with a hard sole. They are now retired to the bin. My old felt-soled boots however have found a new use and to think I nearly chucked them in the rubish when felt-soles were banned in fresh water.
    All the best.
    Mike

Hi Mike; I have been doing very much the same thing here in Tauranga Harbour.

Unfortunately the weather has been real grotty with near gale force winds and a lot nof rain putting a lot of Fresh water into the harbour. Then of course there is the Sea Lettuce. Spent and hour trying to fish but all I did was gardening removing weed from the fly.

Last week my fishing buddy landed a Rat Kingie of close to 12 pounds. It was a blast. My First Kingie is still out there waiting to give me a hard time. Hoping to get out in the boat soon ans see if any Kingies want to play.

Do you tie your own S/W Flies? Have Fun. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Sounds like a great time! Don't forget the camera next time though. I made it out on the harbour with my brother in law and 3 of his kids last week. Between the 5 of us we landed heaps of snapper and 3 travelli. Had one of the snapper tonight for supper. Very yum.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Hey Jax, good to hear you are giving it a bash in the Harbour. Do you know Clark Reid? he lives in Katikati and fishes the harbour flats. I spent a day with him hunting the Stingrays on the flats, the thinking being that the Kings shadow the rays and swoop in on any baitfish disturbed by the rays. We did see a couple near bowentown but the kings had a quick look and then left! Oh well next time.
    Jeff, hope you are having a good new year, if you fancy hitting the meola reef one afternoon let me know and we can give it a bash. You will need good boots and a fly line that you don't mind if it gets a few nicks in it! Add a handfull of clousers or similar and you are all go.
    All the best.
    Mike

Hi Mike,

Will keep it in mind. I'm pretty sure I've got a line that would suit. Time is still a bit tight with the new little one, but I'm sure I could negotiate a day trip

Speaking of salt, did you ever try the mouth of the Waikato? I recall we chatted about that a time or two.

- Jeff

Hi Jeff, no I never made it down to the Waikato Mouth, other things like work just kept getting in the way!
    You do not need a day trip for the Meola reef, I have been fishing it for maybe 3 hours at a time, when the tides in you cant get out there.
    Talk soon.
    All the best
    Mike

Sounds interesting. Must have a look at some salt water patterns.

- Jeff

Hi Mike; yes I do Know Clark but have not fished with him yet.

I have been chasing The Sting Rays in the hope of picking up a Kingie but as of yet No Luck. Seems Not one Kingie has seen my magnificent flies yet which to my mind explains the lack of action.[" G "]

Going out in a boat after Kahawai on Tuesday and if we can get below them we might just score a Kingie or two. Hope springs eternal!! Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

+ Reply to Thread