+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh My!!! Got Some New Tying Skins!

Blog Entries

Default Oh My!!! Got Some New Tying Skins!

Too busy to take a couple pictures right now, and too excited to stay on task, but will post photos soon... In today's mail there was a large cardboard envelope. There was a Reeve's pheasant hen skin... neatly barred, but nothing really special... Two rooster silver pheasants that are incredible with complete tails and they are special!

Containing my excitement so far is no problem... But... Next into the light was a mature white swan skin! For tying full-dress Atlantics it is going to be exceptional!

And then there was something I expected almost nothing of, but it was offered too cheap to pass... Literally $12... A whole India Blue peahen skin. I have messed with quite a bit of them before and most are only marginal for tying... This one is unreal! The entire rump has perfect spey feathers, soft enough to wrap as they are with fibers to 3"! And beautifully speckled! Soft hackles on the neck are glossy green speckled beauties and the large wing, shoulder, and tail feathers will make fantastic married wings.

Sorry for the gloat, but they just made my day!!!
    art grinning

NewTyer 1 Guest

Sounds awesome. I'm envyous

Care to reveal your source?

Blog Entries

I first "met" him on ebay, buying a number of chicken skins, but contactyed him directly to get more and different others... I have a serious distaste for ebay's gouging...

Anyway, he sold me some more skins and then raised the silver pheasants just for me... Well actually bought them at a flea market type sale and finished them off for me (literally!) He continues to sell on ebay and I continue to buy... This was a combination of ebay sales, custom raising, and privately agreed upon pricing.

Seriously though, I keep a 40' boat in Kodiak and I invited him up to go fishing or duck hunting and he thinks we are friends! And I will tell him about this thread!

I often say I have the best friends a 40' boat in Kodiak will buy...

I will check with Chris and if he okays it I will let folks know where to buy... I just see a lot of potential toes being stepped on and I want to avoid as many as possible.
    art still laughing...

Neat story, Art. Thanks for taking the time to "gloat". Would really like to see some pix of these skins.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Hap, never give up your secret spots or your suppliers, or they won't be the same ever again.

Blog Entries

You have a great point... but if I start in tying this morning and tie steady for the rest of my life... and I last a very long time... I will never run out!

Good for ya, hap. Scoring a nice batch of feathers is always exciting.

Blog Entries

That is exciting alright. Congrats on the big score of some outrageous feathers!

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I first "met" him on ebay, buying a number of chicken skins, but contactyed him directly to get more and different others... I have a serious distaste for ebay's gouging...

Anyway, he sold me some more skins and then raised the silver pheasants just for me... Well actually bought them at a flea market type sale and finished them off for me (literally!) He continues to sell on ebay and I continue to buy... This was a combination of ebay sales, custom raising, and privately agreed upon pricing.

Seriously though, I keep a 40' boat in Kodiak and I invited him up to go fishing or duck hunting and he thinks we are friends! And I will tell him about this thread!

I often say I have the best friends a 40' boat in Kodiak will buy...

I will check with Chris and if he okays it I will let folks know where to buy... I just see a lot of potential toes being stepped on and I want to avoid as many as possible.
    art still laughing...
    Thanks Hap...oh and if you happened to take me fishing up in kodiak, I'd be your friend too.

+ Reply to Thread