+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flying with fishing gear?

Hybrid View

Default flying with fishing gear?

I've never flown. And yes, I'm scared to. but we're discussing making a trip some time in the future. It got me to wondering, how do you pack up and fly with your fishing gear? I assume you can't carry your rod on as a carry-on . I'm guessing it'd be to long? Anyway I just got curious.

Thanks,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I carry on my 4pc rods all the time and have no problems (9' 2pc rods probably won't make it any more), although I was asked what was in the tubes in Bozeman of all places (new TSA recruit, obviously not from the area); reels, too. As far as flies go, I can offer no logic as to TSA's stated policy (apparently they're supposed to allow them in carry-on) - my neighbor had some in his carry-on and got through no problem, while our friend, in the next line over was treated like he was carrying a couple bricks of C4 instead of some boxes of streamers and nymphs. You can print out TSA policy and show it to those clowns and it won't make any difference; if they decide to screw with you, they'll slow roll you and you could miss your flight. Dulles and BWI are the 2 airports where I've seen this so I've learned to prepare accordingly; I always put my flies in my checked luggage (fly tying stuff, too).
    Enjoy the flight - don't buy the food and don't look out the windows and you should be fine.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 01-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.

I also carry on my 4 pc rods without any problems. I pack my reels, fly boxes and other items in my carry on bag. Again no problems. The only thing that I get checked on is a pair of 6" stainless needle nose pliers. The last time I flew to Florida, I just took them out of the bag and put them in the bin with my cell phone, etc.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

HNT, don't worry about the flight. The dangerous part is driving to the airport and away from the departure point. If you suffer from motion sickness get you MD to write you a prescription for a Transderm patch. Height has alway bothered me but I have flown around in helicopters with no doors at over 1,000 ft. with no worries. I would recommend you sitting where you can look out the windows, the USA is too beautiful not to look at it from above. Besides you can lean your head against the cabin wall and nap. I have been lead to believe you are not exactly petite. So an aisle seat would be a better choice, an exit row will give you a few extra inches of knee room.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Not to answer your question but to add to the thread - Amtrak is great about fishing gear. Also they only have one charge for a room/sleeper. You pay one fee and everyone pays the coach fare. Not too bad actually. I traveled alone last summer and it was still a pretty good deal.
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It

i have experienced both ends of the TSA spectrum. My recommendation: carry your 4 piece rods in carry on (they get exercised over longer), put everything else (everything else!) in checked luggage. Imagine getting to TSA just on time and as they are calling your flight is boarding, TSA decides you can't bring on your flies. Your choices are miss the flight or sacrifice the flies (forever!) to TSA. Denver and Baltimore are the worst. Houston and Dallas, New Orleans and Orlando are okay. Smaller airports (Aspen, Gunnison, Little Rock) don't seem to care about flies. Forceps and nippers are practically a guarantee to get confiscated (happened twice -- shame on me). A hook sharpening file was also confiscated. Saltwater flies get the most attention because of size.

+ Reply to Thread