+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penchant for particular length / line wt. rods?

Default Penchant for particular length / line wt. rods?

Hi all,
    Does anyone else seem to have a real penchant for fly rods in a particular length and line weight?

For me, I am really drawn to sweet 4wt rods in 7'9" - 8' lengths. I guess because I sincerely enjoy covering ground on smaller headwater rivers and bigger creeks, mostly tossing dries and soft hackles. In this length, the rods are very light in hand, but still have a bit of versatility as far as mending, fly size, etc. Plus, a 4wt allows me to keep a good fish from diving under a logjam or rock ledge most of the time. And fishing nymphs and even smaller streamers is not out of the question.

I know that 5wt and 6wt rods, and even longer 4wts, are ultimately much more versatile in the big scheme of things, but....I guess it boils down to this configuration of rod is the most fun for the type of fly fishing I truly enjoy the most....smaller fish are still plenty of fun, plus it gives a little more butt strength to turn a larger fish away from obstructions than a lighter line weight rod can.

Anyway, what is your huckleberry, as far as a particular length and line weight....and why?

2. Default

I like shorter rods myself. A lot of the streams around here are only about two or three rod lengths wide & covered with trees. Long rods seem to want me to leave flies in those trees. Bringing a good fish to hand on lite weight equipment is satisfying to say the least. I take longer rods & heavier equipment when I go to the 'big water' but by and large the short stuff getts the nod.

Surprisingly I like a 9' rod with a 5 weight reel/line. That's been the setup I've had the most success with even on small streams. According to the books I guess I could be using a 2/3 or 4 weight set up but I'm not. At least for the time being.

I just bought a Three Forks 8' from Cabela's and am wondering how it will be to cast with a shorter rod this coming summer. It's a 5 weight and will be paired with a reel of the same weight. in the scheme of things six to twelve inches may not be much but we'll see if I can catch any fish.

Good question. It will be interesting to read the responses.
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It

Blog Entries

Nope, nobody here is obsessive in any way. Really.

I tend not to be that way, mainly because once I have a rod in a wt/length, then I get something different to fill a gap in the lineup. So my 3wts run from 6 to 9 1/2 feet, for instance.

I prefer shorter rods too, and most of my trout rods are 4wts too. My favorite small-stream rod is a 7ft 4wt, that has a soft, nice medium action. A SA Trout line on it is a perfect match. I fish bigger waters with a 8ft 4wt that is quite faster in action than the 7 footer, and it throws a dry fly on the Cortland "peach" 4wt line like a dream, plus soft hackles and some nymph rigs. I even smallmouth bass fish with a TFO TiCr-X 7.5 ft 6wt. I have an unusual sidearm casting style and the shorter rods seem to suit my tastes better and match my casting stroke better. I've got some 9 footer rods and have owned so many in the past I cant remember them all, but now find myself only looking at 8ft and under rods.
    Mark 1:17

I think it depends on the water you fish the most. My go to rod on most waters I fish is an 8'6" 4 weight. It gives me the best match of utility and fun on medium to large waters with medium to somewhat large fish. But I like my 8' 3 weight glass rod on small streams with small fish, enjoy my 10' 4 weight on medium streams in the winter, and use my 9' 6 weight mostly on still waters or when it is really windy.

I'd probably have more favorites for specific situations if I had more rods. As it stands, they are all my favorite "kids".

NewTyer 1 Guest

I tend to like small rods also. I have a 5'9" paired with a J Austin Forbes magnesium and a 4wt DTF line. My next set up is a 6'6" with a Redington drift and 3wt line. I just bought the Fenwick Feather light rod and matched the up with a Phlueger 1494 and 5wt like. On the other end of the spectrum, I want to get into salt water surf fishing and working on paying off a 9' 13 wt rod, reel and line. So there you have it.
    Last edited by NewTyer 1; 01-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.

I have more rods than necessary. They run from 7' 6" to 10' and vary from 2 to 6 weight. I really don't like fishing with anything shorter than the 7' 6". I use the longer lighter rods when fishing for fish and keep and the heavier rods when I am doing catch and release. My two favorite rods are 9 ft 3 weight and a 9'9" 5 weight.

Tim

I do travel around the western US some. Because of that I like some multi-piece rods which can easily be put into luggage or transported. Many times when I am at my destination, I make a change of plans. This change may mean a shorter or longer rod would be easier to fish with. Therefore I usually take shorter (7'-8') and something in the 9' range on a trip. Overall if I HAD to choose one rod, it would be a 9' 4 wt multi piece. However, I do own different types, lengths, and weights of rods. Probably the best way to say it would be to use the right tool for the situation.

I use a number of different length rods. Most common rods for me are 8 1/2' and 8' 8" 4 and 3 wt's because they fit the type of stream I spend most of my trout fishing on in the Midwest. I have an 8' rod that I thought I'd use more for dry fly fishing, but I lean on the aforementioned more.

I use the longest rod I can get away with for mending purposes, and if I can use a 9' rod for my trout fishing, I do, in 4 and 5 wt's. I have a 6 wt. but I've yet to use it.

For Steelhead and Salmon on Great Lakes tributary fishing, I use 10' 7 and 8 wt. rods. I like the extra foot for mending long belly steelhead taper lines on big water with my 8 wt. and I like the extra foot on the 7 wt. not only for mending, but for high stick nypmhing for Steelehad. I also like the length to help protect the lighter tippet I sometimes use in low/clear water for Steelhead.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

+ Reply to Thread