The tapered leaders you buy have a short piece of tippet on the end that is where you get the x size and you add your tippet to the end of your leader so you don't keep cutting your leader down . When you get tward the knot you tied in you piece of tippet cut it at the knot and add another lenght of tippet to the leader about 18 to 24 " of tippet is what you should add to a new leader I use a blood knot to add the tippet to the leader end. Hope this helps out some others should add to what I've said. I use mainly furled leaders for all my fishing needs. Where most who nymph fish would switch to a mono leader I use the furled leader for all my fishing needs and all I have to do is add a piece of tippet to the leader from 2 ft to 4or 5 ft long.Later Matt P.S. I am 100% self taught it just takes reading and trial and error to get things done or ask on this BB to get someone to answer you. If you need more help e-mail me and I'll try my best to help out more. If you e-mail me put fly fishing in subject so I know it's someone from the BB and not spam also put FAOL in subject. Later Matt aka..STONEFLY71

------------------
To each there own !