+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reel advice

Hybrid View

1. Default reel advice

Greetings fellow board members,I'm loking to tap into your knowledge and opinions on either the Ross Evolution LT 4 or the Bauer Rogue 4.I'm going after steelhead in the Great Lakes region.This will be my first attempt after steelies on a flyrod.The rod I"ll be using will be a Sage RPL 9ft 7wt.Hope get hear a lot of feedback,thanks in advance.

I can't speak on the Bauer, bur I've been fishing a Momentum for steelies for several years and find it more than enough reel for the job.

Blog Entries

bassbugger,

Regarding the Ross Evolutions, when they first came out I just had to buy one for my freshwater trout fishing needs. It is a nice reel, but after a few years it fell apart on me when I was out fishing on the river in Montana, actually fell apart. I sent it in and Ross fixed it. After I had purchased the reel I started reading about how they had a serious problem with their drag system and it would burn up right away when you got a big fish hooked. So, I never bought another Ross Evolution.

Maybe they fixed the problem, I don't know.

I have no knowledge about Bauer reels.

All of my reels now are Orvis reels. They hold up very well and can really take a beating. Regarding their large arbor reels, as with most other brands, I find that I can not get enough backing on the spool because the reel fills up too much with the line. My solution for that was to go to the next larger large arbor reel and that took care of the problem. I do like large arbor reels, they get the line in so much faster and there is less coil memory in the line. The Mid-Arbor reel works well also. The Battenkills are bullet proof if you want a standard sized spool reel. Give one of the middle grade Orvis reels a try, I think you will like them. ps: They also look good on my Sage rods.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I second the Orvis reels. I use and like the Battenkill Disc (I have two) and the Barstock (I have one). They are however, a standard arbor, but I don't find a problem with that. I just fill up the spool with backing. In essence, I then have a mid arbor or large arbor reel.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

For heavy work, I'd opt for the Bauer, although I'm unfamiliary with the Rogue model specifically. I like Ross reels a lot, but their quality and design decisions over the last few years have got me looking elsewhere these days. The Orvis reels work fine as well, and in the right price range.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bassbugger View Post
    Greetings fellow board members,I'm loking to tap into your knowledge and opinions on either the Ross Evolution LT 4 or the Bauer Rogue 4.I'm going after steelhead in the Great Lakes region.This will be my first attempt after steelies on a flyrod.The rod I"ll be using will be a Sage RPL 9ft 7wt.Hope get hear a lot of feedback,thanks in advance.
    For big fish there is absolutely no comparison, the Bauer is a far better reel. Ross has really dropped the ball on almost all fronts for a number of years. I have seen high-end Ross reels literally fall apart in a tough day of fishing. The left-to-right retrieve swap mechanism on reels like the Vexsis is a very bad joke to perpetrate on their buyers... In the Vexsis's case the drag sticks just enough with a big fish on to come unseated when a little line is taken up leaving the reel in total freespool. Seeing a silver salmon turn a Vexsis into the core of a birdnest that destroyed a brand new line and bruised every knuckle in the zip code did seem funny at the time... but ownership was the cause for that...

For truly large fish and hard work the best reel for the money is a Lamson Guru. The drags are the same in all models and they are rock solid, tough reels. I love my Hardys, but as I need to buy larger reels they are all going to be Lamson.
    art

BUT, if you're an old, rich preppy type dude who knows nothin but wants to make an impression, I'd definitely suggest the junk ORVIS sells in their stores.

Mark

PS: Could NOT control the urge

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    BUT, if you're an old, rich preppy type dude who knows nothin but wants to make an impression, I'd definitely suggest the junk ORVIS sells in their stores.

Mark

PS: Could NOT control the urge
    Well!!! I am old, but I'm certainly not rich or preppy. At any rate, I guess I've been told.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Speaking of Lamson...The Litespeed is on closeout for upgrades on all models.
    http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

I have used Lamson, Orvis, Sage, and Billy Pate reels on GL steelhead. All are good. But because of timing and coincidence, I have caught many, many, more steelies on a 9 1/2 foot Cabella rod with a Ross Gunnison. When pursuing these fish, you need to keep a light drag and use rim control for most of your work. If you get caught with the drag too heavy and the rod too steep you can break the leader or the rod or straighten out a hook when ol steely becomes air born at an inopportune time. Most GL steelies aren't really that big (7-9 lb.) but you can sometimes get into a really big one even upwards to 16 pounds or more. Drag can never replace skill so I don't rely too heavily on them. But they must perform reliably and not fail or you can get a nasty backlash that will loose you a fish and maybe ruin your whole day.

Godspeed,

Bob

+ Reply to Thread