I do not have an orvis hydros but do have 2 other orvis rods that do represent the actions given them. however, my cousin did take advantage of the same offer you did and got a hydros 7.5 mid fles 6wt. when he came to visit i was able to use the rod to land a 6 - 7 lb steelie, he landed several other steelies. i found the rod to have more than enough backbone and the mid flex action was perfect for the prsentation on the steelies, light flies, 4x tippets, big fish. granted it was very different from my Scott S4 but very easy to adjust to. as for being a noodle, are you talking about a 4wt? a 4wt is not a stout rod. i have found orvis rods are not as stiff as other western made rods. orvis tapers were designed for eastern streams, which are very much smaller than the big river out west. also orvis was traditionally a dry fly design, with flexes into the handle. i fished some of these older models and they cast and roll cast dries effortlessly. just remember every tool has it function and use the right tool for the job at hand. so that hydros may not be ideal for pounding the bank with streamers or nymphing a 3 fly rig, but just through a 18 bwo with it and smile.