+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Contrary to.........................

Hybrid View

Default Contrary to.........................

my philosophy regarding $$$$$$ fishin stuff, I POPPED. About a week ago, to my surprise, I received a payment from a client who went through some hard times about 10 years ago. About that LONGago, VERY apologetically, he informed me he would be unable to pay me the balance due ( approx $1200 of a $9000 total ). He did state that when times got better, he would make good his debt. Basically I lost nothing except the additional $1200 in profit. All help was paid and in reality, NO BIG DEAL. December 23, last year, I received a check for $1600 from him with an accopanying note stating that he was very sorry for any inconvenience he may have caused me and a sincere THANK YOU for understanding. I sent him the $400 difference so fast his head would probably spin with also a note expressing my appreciation for fortifying my faith in mankind ( actually I just simply appreciated the gesture).
    Long story short, I took the enexpected funds and popped for an Orvis Hydros somthinorother outfit complete with matching reel, line etc. So NOW, having expended funds WAAYYYY over what I deem "sensible" I fully expect full creels henceforth. By the way, it's a blue one and it arrived today ( Ukrainian Christmas eve and we DO celebrate same)

Mark
    PS: It's a 9', 4 pc, 4 wt with Hydros I Titanium filled WF, large arbor reel.
    Last edited by Marco; 01-07-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Marco,
    What a nice surprise.You deserve to buy your self something nice.After 10 years,WOW

Thank you for sharing this ..... for several reasons. Enjoy your rod and keep posting some of the prettiest fish I've ever seen.

It is good to know there are still honest people in this world. Enjoy your new toy!
    Wyo-Blizzard

ya gotta love the honest clients! congrats on the new rod!

Z

You gotta love people who do the right thing.

Have loads of fun with your new ff outfit.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I do not have an orvis hydros but do have 2 other orvis rods that do represent the actions given them. however, my cousin did take advantage of the same offer you did and got a hydros 7.5 mid fles 6wt. when he came to visit i was able to use the rod to land a 6 - 7 lb steelie, he landed several other steelies. i found the rod to have more than enough backbone and the mid flex action was perfect for the prsentation on the steelies, light flies, 4x tippets, big fish. granted it was very different from my Scott S4 but very easy to adjust to. as for being a noodle, are you talking about a 4wt? a 4wt is not a stout rod. i have found orvis rods are not as stiff as other western made rods. orvis tapers were designed for eastern streams, which are very much smaller than the big river out west. also orvis was traditionally a dry fly design, with flexes into the handle. i fished some of these older models and they cast and roll cast dries effortlessly. just remember every tool has it function and use the right tool for the job at hand. so that hydros may not be ideal for pounding the bank with streamers or nymphing a 3 fly rig, but just through a 18 bwo with it and smile.

Of course I agree smaller flies with smaller weight rods, that is a gimmie, however I do throw #28's with my 6 wt. if that is what is required. I think rod weight is more an issue for the size of fish targeting. I have landed 24" trout on a #32. And yes you can land any size fish on any size rod, but it can also exhaust a fish to death if going too light.
    You can also cast large heavy flies with full flex (bamboo and glass) you just need to slow down.
    As I mentioned I have the older TL rod in an 8'6" 4 wt tip flex 9.5. The fact that it is a 4 wt. didn't matter, it is a fast action rod. That same snappy flex as the 6 wt 9.5 tip flex.

+ Reply to Thread