+ Reply to Thread

Thread: practice rod blanks

Hybrid View

Default practice rod blanks

After reading every thing i could over the last 3 years,i want to finally like to try my hand at building a rod.I am currently looking for a source of cheep rod blanks to practice on.Besides carbon arrows,does anyone know where i could aquire any?Thanks in advance.Ray

Forecast blanks are pretty cheap and make a very decent rod; if you're looking for something a little cheaper, try here:

http://www.utmostenterprises.com/UTMOSTBLANKS.htm

Regards,
    Scott

Don't go for the absolutely most cheap-est blank you can find. Find a lesser cost blank that has features you know you like in a fly rod. If you find one you like you'll be more apt to finish the rod, and more apt to use it. Take your time, pay attention to what you're doing, enjoy ... and if that's not possible at that moment, put it down and walk away for a little bit. If you aren't happy with the color of the thread, or the way the wraps are going ... start over with thread you do like, and more controlled wrapping. Anything you put on the blank can be removed for a clean start. Ask questions. Listen to the answers. Have fun.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

You can practice on pieces of a broken rod if you have one. If not look in the discontinued bin at your local big box for a cheap rod of any kind. You can practice your wraps and check colors on it between the guides or even remove them and get practice by putting them back on. If you don't want the rod when you're done just drop it at goodwill with the extra wraps removed.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Take a look at what some of our sponsors we have. Utmost batson blanks are a good choice and they may have some on sale. I have not used Global Dorber, but I do know that their blanks are lower priced. Seiver would be another good choice for lesser priced blanks. If you have a Cabelas nearby you could check them out.

I am sorry,i meant broken blanks to practice on,epoxy,inlays,wraps,etc.Sometimes,what i think does not come out the same as what i write.I have checked e-bay.Ray

+ Reply to Thread