+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here, looking for info before diving into fly fishing

Default New here, looking for info before diving into fly fishing

Hi all and thanks in advance for any information that you may be able to provide me, I'll appreciate it.
    First off, I'm not a consistent fisherman, and when I go I'm not usually very good but I enjoy it for the relaxation. I live in northern Alberta and have access to streams, lakes and rivers. It's about a 4 hour drive to the mountains where I'd really spend most of my time fishing for trout mostly. When I fish I'm usually in my kayak (not a sit on top) with my rod and spinning reel, but I am really intrigued about fly fishing and I do like to try new things. I realize that flyfishing from a kayak may be somewhat difficult but the kayak allows me to get to places that I could fish from shore.
    I have been looking at the Temple Forks NXT series 4 piece combo for $220. I've also looked at the Fenwick HMX series for roughly the same price. I don't want to spend a fortune on equipment at this point in time although like many hobbies I understand that there are great opportunities to do just that and I also realize that in most cases you get what you pay for.
    Keep in mind I have never used a fly rod and really don't know much at this point about equipment and accessories other than what I've gleaned off the internet.
    So your thoughts and suggestions are most welcome and I look forward to the responses.
    Thanks,

hk

HK, Hello and welcome to FAOL from sunny SoCal. Pull up a stool and sit around with us. You'll find some friendly and knowledgeable folks ready to help you. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

hk,

You are kind of lucky, wanting to get into fly fishing and living in Edmonton. There are two fly fishing clubs in Edmonton and the best way to learn to fly fish is to join a club. I trust either club will have people who will be willing to guide you through the steps of getting into fly fishing. Check them out.

As for rods, any decent outfit will be great for a beginning fly fisher. You will want a 5 weight rod, possibly a 6 weight but many suggest the 5 weight for learning and it is a great weight for trout fishing. If you buy an outfit then it will come with a decent reel, you don't need a top of the line reel for trout if you don't want it, and it should come with a weight forward line that matches the weight of the rod.

Before you head out onto the water you absolutly must learn how to cast decently, otherwise your expierence on the water will not be a very good one. Many people grab a rod for the first time and want to hit the water to see how many fish they can catch. No, don't do that. Learn how to cast first, then learn how to present some different types of flies (dry or top water to sub-surface flies). That is where a club comes in handy, check them out.

There are also some great DVD's out there about basic casting and basic fly fishing. You may want to invest in some of them.

Here are the two fly clubs in Edmonton and welcome to FAOL.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Northern Lights Fly Tyers
    http://www.nlft.org/

Edmonton Trout Fishing Club
    http://www.edmontontrout.ca/
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

The starter combos generally come with a very cheap line, just to make the price point. Understand that a quality line runs $50 to $75 retail, and nothing turns more people off than trying to learn to cast with an inadequate line.
    Most any rod will work to get you started, and all the reel does is hold the line between trips. Look for a 9 ft 5 or 6 wt rod - something like an entry St Croix or Temple Fork or Redington. You can't go wrong with any of them. Okuma makes some nice reels for very little $$. Try EBay or Craigslist for both, and you'll save nearly half under retail even buying new stuff, esp in winter time. For a line, post on the Wanteds here, or go to EBay again. Look for an Airflo, Rio, SA, or Cortland weight forward line in the appropriate weight (5 or 6) for your rod, and get one in their best series. Go to the various line company web sites to see what they offer.
    You should be able to get outfitted at minimal expense to find out if FF-ing is for you. If it is, you can always upgrade later.

Arrow Greetings and welcome ...

... from Western Montana.

You might also want to check out the For Sale Forum here on FAOL. If I were looking for a beginner outfit for trout fishing for smaller water, I would be seriously interested in the linked outfit.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...e-rod-for-sale

dpenrod is a stand up guy. Don't worry about doing business with him. Some folks will say a 3 wt is too light, but if you are fishing smaller water with smaller flies in reasonably calm weather for smaller trout, say under 15-18", it will do everything you want it to do.

John
    The fish are always right.

HK, you've been given good advice by others. I only have a couple things as you dip your toe into the stream... We all started where you are now. You're an active outdoor person and will most likely pick up flyfishing easily. Use frustration (we all get it) as motivation and you'll not be sorry for making the leap. I do not know your area but investing in a guided trip your first time or two out may (I believe will) help ensure a successful introduction to the sport. I am not a guide, am certainly no expert flyfisherman but even Tiger Woods has a swing coach, right! Get off on the right foot, save yourself some frustration, find a compatible guide and do as he/she says. Good luck! You'll be tying flies or building rods before you know it...
    Grassman

NewTyer 1 Guest

Welcome to the board. First off the rod/reel combo. I have the NXT Series combo and for the price, it can't be beat. It's a great intro set up.Also, in my opinion, a 5wt setup will give you the most versatility. It can be used for trout, bass, and other panfish. Next. Learning to cast. Being new myself, I watched alot of youtube videos and also went to the Orvis news sight with a ton of videos. I also practiced with a cheap line in my back yard many hours. Joining a club is a great idea but, you can also join some of the Canadian forums and may hook up with people from your area. As far as line goes, I have heard great things about the line Allen Fly Company sells and at a great price or check ebay and these forums. I see lots of lines for sale here. Just make sure you know what weight rod you will be using and whether you will be fishing on top of the water or streamer fishing in some of the lakes there in Canada. Again, welcome aboard from Virginia. I hope this helps but, I'm sure you will get lots more soon.

Welcome to the sport from the Colorado Rockies! Don't be surprised if you see some conflicting advice in the responses. Listen to it all and use your judgment. I doubt any of it will be bad advice. It is just that we all have our preferences. Here are mine.

Rod: 8'6" to 9'. Moderate action or moderate-fast. Not fast at the start. 5-weight if you plan to own only one rod. Otherwise start with a 4-weight for trout and add a 6-weight for bigger fish and windy days later. Two-piece rods used to be the norm, but 4-7 piece rods are easier to store and transport. Include Cabela's in your rod search.

Reel: any under $50 at the start. Combo sets match the reel weight to the rod and are, thus, foolproof in terms of having your rod and reel balance well in your hand.

Rod case and reel case: Protects your investment. Usually come with a combo set.

Line: The Cortland Classic Peach is a good value, time tested and proven. Will be better than what you get in a combo set and worth the price. Get a floating line for its versatility. Some like weight forward lines best. I strongly prefer a double taper line. It casts just as good for me in the casting distances I need and, when the front end is worn out and stops floating, you can turn it around on your reel and get an unused new front end. You can't do that with a WF line. (Hint: almost all of the fish you catch in a stream will be hooked within 15 feet of you, especially at the start.)

Backing: Dacron in a 20 or 30-pound weight.

Leaders: 9' to start. I use a 5X most of the time for Rocky Mountain streams, but also carry a heavier 4X and a lighter 6X as well. I also use 7.5 foot leaders more as I get more experience.

Tippet: I use 5X most of the time, but also carry 4X and 6X. The 5X can fool most trout. The 4X is for bigger & dumber fish. The 6X is for spooky trout who can't see it as well as a 5 or 4X. I like Rio and can get them cheaper as a 3-pack.

Flies: Ask the fly shop nearest to the water you'll be fishing what is working now --pattern and size. Buy a few. Keep asking on each trip. YOu can also find a lot of info on the Net about what flies will work in the waters near you at the time you'll be fishing them. Google the water's name + fishing report.

Landing net: A big help with larger fish. Might be a requirement for kayak fishing. (I've never fished from a kayak.)

Forceps and nippers: The two tools you'll use most on the water.

Fly floatant: I use Loon and Frog's Fanny to keep my dry flies floating.

Splitshot weight: B and BB

Strike Indicators: For when you are fishing nymphs, etc. I use yarn ones, with floatant applied, and Thingamabobbers.

Magnifying glasses: If your vision is not perfect they sure help to thread small flies.

Waders: A necessity if you plan to fish in uncomfortably cold water. I've found breathables to be more comfortable in both warm and cold weather than neoprenes. I've had great luck with Cabela's Dry Pus Gold Medals.

Wader belt: Keeps you dry when you fall in the water.

Wading staff: Young guys can often get by without one, but they also fall in the water more.

Boots: Start off relatively cheap. Felt soles give great traction, but are being banned in some areas. Rubber soles are nice in snow. People either love or hate studded soles. Studs and boats don't play well together.

There is a lot of other gear you can buy, some of it useful, but those are the basics. Once you have it, come on back and ask us how to assemble and use it. This board is great about answering newby questions! I know because the folks on this board were incredibly helpful to me when I started fly fishing about 10 years ago!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by oldfrat; 01-06-2012 at 01:00 AM.

I have to agree with Larry (sagefisher) on practicing casting before you go out on the water. I started fly fishing about 6 mo ago and everyone on here said to take my outfit out and practice in the yard beforehand. I spent 45 min a day at least 4 days a week for a month casting in the schoolyard across the street from my house. I think the neighbors thought I was crazy. I work at a lake with accessable tailwaters, so when I did hit the water, I practiced a couple of hours a day (before and after work) for 3 days before I tied on a fly. It's my opinion, that all of the practice, book reading, conversing on here and watching casting lessons on youtube made my first few times out fishing a much more pleasant expierience. I was fairly happy with my casting the first time out. I just wish I had kept up my rigorous practice schedule. Good luck and welcome to fly fishing. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Lots of good advice here. The TFO NXT combos are very nice and are a great package that includes a rod/reel case. They have been the most popular combo at the shop that I work at one day a week. We have yet to have a customer come back with any complaints about the NXT packages. The line that the package comes with is not the best line out there but it is better than many lines packaged with starter combos and would still serve you well. I own and fish gear that cost quite a bit more than the NXT combo (as well as less) but if I were handed an NXT combo and told that is what I had to use for the day I would be quite happy and satisified that it would perform well for me.

I am not familiar with the current version of the Fenwick HMX rods or how they are packaged. Aside from the TFO, other quality combos at the price of the NXT or less include the pre packaged combos from Redington, Scientific Angler, Cortland, and St. Croix.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 01-06-2012 at 02:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread