+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Completed Reel Seats

Hybrid View

Default Just Completed Reel Seats

These reel seats were just completed today. I am picky on the wood to be turned, so I look to find attractive wood. Even at that once you start the project there is no way to know exactly what the color and grain will be when completed. I am happy with all of these. The burled inserts are from Maple, Rosewood and Amboyna
    The hardware is just sitting on the seat

Burl reel seats Maple-Amboyna-Rosewood 008.jpgwood inserts 1-04-2012 024.jpg

Blog Entries

What finish did you use? I usually use BLO/CA for about 4 coats. Stabilized wood gets less as it polishes up nicely with Micro Mesh most of the time.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Hey Kevin,
    I like using Spar Urethane for the finish. These are a mixture of Satin and Semigloss. I start out with a thinned mixture and gradually get to a less thinned Spar. I usually have from 8 to 10 hand rubbed coats. Some people sand after each coat but I will do so after two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    Hey Kevin,
    I like using Spar Urethane for the finish. These are a mixture of Satin and Semigloss. I start out with a thinned mixture and gradually get to a less thinned Spar. I usually have from 8 to 10 hand rubbed coats. Some people sand after each coat but I will do so after two.
    That is a lot of work! It gives a nice finish but it's a lot of work. While the insert is still on the lathe and after I have sanded to about 1000 grit, I put a small amount of Boiled Linseed Oil on a soft rag and apply to the spinning insert with just enough pressure to warm things. You will instantly see what the insert will look like finished. With the same cloth, I apply a enough CA glue to cover the insert while it is still spinning again applying enough pressure to warm things. Work that for a few seconds and the gloss will start to pop for you. Keep it going for a few seconds more. Apply another 2 or 3 coats rubbing the CA harder each time. You will get a super hard, high gloss finish in less than 5 minutes. The BLO tones down the plastic look of a CA finish.

This is a BLO/CA finish on lignum vite. It took less than ten minutes to take this from sanded to finished with no extra dry time.

Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Absolutely beautiful Kevin, I have used CP but I could not get the results I wanted. Thanks for the CP tutoral.
    Yes it is more time consuming but I would not call it work.
    Last edited by hardhat; 01-05-2012 at 01:56 AM.

...Yes it is more time consuming but I would not call it work.
    Getting beyond the craft and art involved, this is an absolutely great line.

John
    The fish are always right.

Spectacular. Really love the one at 2 o'clock on the first picture and 6 on the first picture.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

Thank you Mike,
    You have a very good eye. Both of those were cut out of the same piece of wood.

Those are great looking. I just use boiled linseed oil on my seats. I reapply the oil every few months to polish them. But I don't get a high gloss finish. I may try kbproctor's method sometime. Does it matter what kind of CA glue you use?

Those are beautifully done, guys.

+ Reply to Thread