+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How about physically challenged emergent duns?

Blog Entries

Default How about physically challenged emergent duns?

I've never carried "cripple" dun patterns before. This winter, I figure I should tie some for this summer and give them a try. Anyone have better luck with these than the standard dun patterns
    Thanks,
    Byron

I have basically given up on Catskill style dry flies. I have much more success with flies that lie IN the surface, and my Go-To is the Usual with only the wing 'ginked' so the butt sinks. My fishing opportunities are not usually on bubbly streams where I need total buoyancy, so emergers work well. FYI the Usual can be pulled under to rise back up in front of the fish, so is 'very wet' at some points. This Feb. I am leading a session on a 'dandelion emerger' wherein the parachute hackle is 1/8 inch above the fly, so the 'bug' is totally below the surface. Last year on the Farmington, CT, for a week in June I think almost all fish took 90% of the flies 1" below the surface. So I encourage tying and fishing emergers.

On the beautiful fly you have tied, I would only apply floatant to the top of the hackle and wing, and put saliva on the tail to encourage the butt to sink. An easy target for fish.

Byron,

As always, your flies are beautifully tied. Had good luck with these on the Firehole this fall during baetis hatch:

Definitely found the black wing to be more visible in low, flat light conditions; tied them on Dai Riki 125s (#22) to take advantage of the larger gap.

Regards,
    Scott

Cripples are often high effective patterns for me, but I'll usually just use a Quigley variant rather than a Catskill style tie.

For the most part, I use cripples before any other mayfly imitations now, at least at the small end. 80% of the time I use a purple one...

+ Reply to Thread