I love and hate this article. I love the things that are said. I hate the fact that these ideas have to be repeated. There is nothing here that wasn't being said 30 years ago when my kids started school. In fact my mother and father, on hearing this 60 years ago when I was starting school, would have said,"So what is new?"

Though I was a product of the philosophy, I did not realize what was involved until I became the parent in the equation. BC took on a new meaning. It was our carefree time Before Children when we could travel, ski, fish, and otherwise play. And we had the resources to do it. AC, After Children, required a lot of belt tightening and close management of resources. It was worth it.

Now I have this nagging suspicion that Ladyfisher is preaching to the choir. After all fly fishermen and fishermen in general are disciplined. They get up early and work hard to catch fish in a challenging way. Others choose video games for a hobby. I hope some of the angler's discipline rubs off on the children.

"So what's new?"