+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Search for Wire.

AlanB Guest

Default The Search for Wire.

For the past year or so I have been searching for various colours of copper wire. One of the ones I wanted was a good orange for spider patterns. Finally I have found one, it is sold as tangerine coloured wire. It is close to waxed Pearsall's 6B in colour and size. Here's a Woodcock and Orange tied with it.

Now to find a non metallic yellow/olive.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

Blog Entries

I have a spool of light olive wire here somewhere, will take a photo and post it so you can see if it is close to what you want. Provided, of course, I can find it in this mess.

DG

Lightbulb An alternative to wire ...

... is StretchMagic over tying thread.

Kind of like the look, and you can tie body colors in any thread color you have available. I haven't made an effort to do so, but by varying the tension on the StrechMagic while wrapping it, you should be able to get a tapered effect. Here is an example with .5mm clear over orange thread on a size 16 1X short scud hook. It is probably lighter than wire, if that is a consideration. It comes in several larger sizes.

Best of all, the trouts seem to like it.

John
    The fish are always right.

AlanB Guest

I have a slightly different one for translucent fly bodies. I can get white flexi floss, but not the StrechMagic you mention. Will any do that or just that make?

White Uni Floss woven over Fl Fire Orange UTC. When wet the orange shines through. The woven floss makes the translucence uneven, ie. more natural. This fly was responsible for my first ever 50+ trout day.
    What I was after with the wire was to create a heavier version of the traditional flies, to use on the point of a team of spiders.
    Thanks for the offer DG but I have light olive, it is something more like waxed Pearsall's primrose I'm looking for.
    Cheers,
    C.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... is StretchMagic over tying thread.

Kind of like the look, and you can tie body colors in any thread color you have available. I haven't made an effort to do so, but by varying the tension on the StrechMagic while wrapping it, you should be able to get a tapered effect. Here is an example with .5mm clear over orange thread on a size 16 1X short scud hook. It is probably lighter than wire, if that is a consideration. It comes in several larger sizes.

Best of all, the trouts seem to like it.

John

Is similar to the Blue Moon Stretch Cord that I use on my RRP's and other similar patterns. Where are u getting the StretchMagic and cost per spool. The Stretch Cord is at Pamida's here in MT comes in 16yd spools (stretched out it 3 times that) it is like 3 bucks.

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

Thanks for the info. Will have to get some and compare to the Blue Moon cord. How strong is StretchMagic?

Wayne
    "I Never Saw A Wild Thing Sorry For Itself, A Bird Will Fall Frozen Dead From A Bough, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself."

AlanB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I use 5MM Stretch Magic. The price is around 2 dollars for 32 feet at Sears, Ben Franklin Crafts, Hobby Lobby, Michaels,,,etc..... Pretty easy stuff to find, I believe it also comes in 7MM x 10meters(32 feet)
    Thanks but none of those stores are available this side of the pond, we have similar places but the nearest is a good 6 hrs drive away from me. It would have to be mail order for anything like that.

Cheers,
    A.

Alan,

If these items are desired let me know and will make arrangements to get them across the pond.

Wayne

Check the auction site, there's a guy that has ULTRA WIRE fly tying - 25 spools mixed colors - (xs, small, medium)

for $25 plus $3 shipping

Speaking of searching for wire...

Copper Wire Discovered
    After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year outside of New York City, New York scientists found traces of copper cable dating back 100 years. They came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 100 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the New Yorkers, in the weeks that followed, a Los Angeles , California archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet somewhere just outside Oceanside. Shortly after, a story in the LA Times read:

"California archaeologists report a finding of 200 year old copper cable, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network a hundred years earlier than the New Yorkers."

One week later, a local newspaper in Waterloo, Iowa, reported the following:

"After digging down about 30 feet deep in his pasture near the community of Waverly, John, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely nothing. John has therefore concluded that 300 years ago, Iowa had already gone wireless".

Just makes a person proud to be from Iowa!

+ Reply to Thread