In the thread: Anyone else prefer stillwater over moving water flyfishing? Fly Goddess wrote:
i prefer stillwater. But a lot of that is because of our messed up law here in Utah that land owners own the river that runs through their property. No tresspassing.
First let me say I am not picking on Fly Goddess here. She just happened to post the comment that spurred my thought.

While I understand the frustration of not having access, I also understand not wanting just anyone on my property. Especially when I consider the amount of trash, etc. that can be found left by anglers at most any location frequented by "the public". As such, I disagree that the Utah Law is "messed up". (And no, I don't currently own land with a trout stream running through it.)

Not long ago I was "kicked off" a piece of water that I thought was fair game. When I inquired who and where to obtain permission from to fish the area, I was directed to the owner. I then approached the owner and was told in no uncertain terms that I was not permitted to fish there. When I posted this experience on another Board, Ohiotuber replied with some sage advice on etiquette and approaching land owners for permission. I have since been quite active in "asking" property owners for permission to fish their property, without a rod in hand, and prior to ever setting foot anywhere near their "water". I generally do not even have a rod in the car. My approach is more of: "Can I schedule an appointment, that you don't even need to be here for?" Of the twenty or so owners I have approached in this manner, only three have declined to allow me some sort of access. Granted, I'm not in Utah right now, and most of these waters are "farm ponds". But I'll bet my experience here would prove to be similar in Utah, California, Montana, or anywhere else an individual can restrict access to the water on their land. The exception being if they were using the water as a money producing attraction already. Then you simply have to pay to play.

The point here is really just to consider the feelings and attitude of the land owner(s) as though it was your land. Speaking for myself... If I had a "Blue Ribbon" trout stream running through my property, I would restrict access to it as well. But if someone showed me the courtesy of asking permission, and followed up with real expressions of gratitude for allowing them access. They'd likely be welcome anytime.

---David