Quote Originally Posted by steck View Post
If the fish and water resources are managed with funds that are acquired through the State by taxation or fee collection from the public, then the public should have access to those resources. The fish themselves are "owned" by the State, not the adjacent landowner. Why should the adjacent landowner derive additional benefit of that resource by either restricting the enjoyment of others or profiting by charging folks to gain access to a resource that they already own? If discarding trash is the issue, then fine the individual for littering. Different issue in my opinion, why penalize everyone for the obnoxious behaviors of a few. I am a landowner that has a trout stream running through it. Never had a trash issue, but I did get pissed when I witnessed a father-son team that brought a 5 gallon bucket to take wild brookies home in so they could stock their private pond with State owned fish. Most trout angler's I know are respectful and responsible stewards.
Ready for the proverbial icing on the cake? A lot of these land owners have recieved state money to improve the raparian habitat and to have fish (from state hatcheries) planted in the waters crossing through their property.