+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few simple softhackles

Default A few simple softhackles

Back in April, I spent some time in SW Montana helping out with a National Wildlife Federation study on Sage Grouse habitat and breeding activity. The director of the program, Ben Deeble, in addition to being an outstanding birder, bird dog trainer and all-around nice guy, is a pretty accomplished bird hunter. A few weeks ago he sent me some partridge that he had harvested this fall; I'm tying some soft hackles up to send back to Ben, hopefully he'll be able to take a break from his busy schedule and spend some time fishing around Missoula in 2012. Nothing fancy here, and a few of the hackles are a bit oversized, it's been over a month since I've tied anything and it takes a while to get everything (including sense of proportion) in synch:

pheasant tail

partridge & peacock

b/h pheasant tail

biot & peacock

wire body

Regards,
    Scott

I haven't tied many soft hackles till recently. Been tying a few PT's. Liking the biot.

Nice job. Really like the biot and peacock.

Well done.

Blog Entries

Very nice!

Seeing well tyed Soft Hackles is like a breath of fresh air.

Nice job on the flies, Scott. And the pixels are exceptional. What kind of camera and lighting set up are you using ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, especially from some true shutterbugs. John, I'm embarrassed to say the camera set-up is even more basic than the flies - a 5 yr old Canon Powershot SD750, my Ott light (over the top of the vise), a cheap clamp-on 60w lamp (from the side) and a piece of black construction paper background. Apparently, the camera has a decent macro setting; I didn't even know about it until my daughter started taking some real cool closeups of flowers, vegetation and bugs while we were hiking in Glacier. Wish I could take it fishing (the one I use for those pics is a $39 Vivitar I picked up at the Wal-Mart in Polson), but it's not water/shockproof; have to start saving up for one of those.

Regards,
    Scott

Nice ties, Scott. Where do you fish around Ashburn? Just curious.
    Bruce

Bruce,

The ponds around here have some decent bass & bluegills; used to get some surprisingly nice crappies but either they're gone or I lost my touch (I'd guess the latter); most of the creeks are heavily posted. I've fished the Potomac some, up higher, for smallmouth although that's something I should explore a little more (a friend recently started fishing it from a kayak and he did very well this season), and down towards DC during shad season. Closest (50 miles) decent trout fishing is up in MD; SNP, PA and VA limestoners are a bit further. The best striper fishing I've found from shore is about 90 miles away, but that's a night-time/falling tide proposition and I usually have to pick the crappiest weather I can to avoid the crowds.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread