I have been fly fishing for many years now and can't remember when I fished a stream or river. I was telling a friend yesterday I really prefer stilllwater fly fishing over fishing a stream or river. I really enjoy tying buggers, leeches, midge pupa, streamers, nymphs and all the other flies that are designed for lake fishing. I think seeing a little bobber get pulled under or stripping a full sink line and having it come to a dead stop is just as exciting as watching a fish rise to take a dry fly.(yes bobber fishing is done in streams and rivers) I think locating fish in a lake is a great challenge. My biggest, personal best trout, largemouth bass, shellcracker, and bluegill all were caught in a lake or a pond.

Float tubing is so relaxing and is a great way to get out with the fish. I have had fish swin up to me pause and slowly finn away, appearing not to be distrubed by presence at all. I always have to laugh when people say " I did not know you could fly fish in a lake" or " I did not know you could catch a bass or crappie with a fly in a lake" " I thought fly fishing was suppose to be done in a river with dry flies" There always seems to be more room to fish on a lake. That is one of the main reasons I started to fish lakes, when on the stream it always seemd liked I would have to walk for ever to find open water(Maybe that is because I live in So. Cal.). I am sure I am in the minority, but does anyone else like lake fishing more than fishing a river or stream and if so what are your reasons for enjoying a nice lake or pond full of trout or bluegill.

I hope everyone has a great New Year and 2012 is a great year for you!

Lanny