+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to tie/fish in cold weather?

Hybrid View

Default What to tie/fish in cold weather?

Hi,

I'm itching to tie some flies and get on the water. I'm in Rhode Island, and right now I can either wade a river or fish a pond on my kayak, since the temps have been a few degrees either side of 42 for quite some time. I'm looking for trout first, but I'll be happy with anything at this time of year.

Two questions, then:
    A. What should I tie?
    B. How should I fish it? (Especially in a pond)

Thanks!
    Hugh

Midges, I'd think. Larvae, Pupae, Dries (if you're lucky).

Larvae and Pupae would be deep and sssssslllllloooooooooowwwww.

Blog Entries

Olive woolly bugger. Vary the retrieve until they attack, then use that method. Slow and twitchy would be my first choice, followed by fast and twitchy, then a slow steady swim (as in trolling behind the yak).

Willy Self's Lazer Midge is hard to beat:

Willy's tie:

One of my takeoffs:

(Edge) Bright makes Mite:
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 12-29-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Now those are what I call CLOSEUPS! Do you have a recipe, or should I Google?

Thanks and keep those ideas coming!

Hugh

RE> recipe for Willy Self's Lazer Midge

Scud hook. Edge bright body and bead. Vary the colors. Not much to it. Willy's fly collection is not yet on the net. But it's coming.

Willy typically ties his with a plastic bead (sans weight). Willy almost always fishes two flies at a time, with one on a dropper (never chains them together). And places any required weight on the leader (not of the fly). In winter he usually fishes a foam bobber too. Late Fall is on everybody's radar screen as a good time to catch big browns. But Winter and early Spring are when most of the big fish seem to get caught, here in Montana anyway.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 12-29-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    (Edge) Bright makes Mite:
    Okay. I mite bite! I like!

So, where does one get Edge Bright in the Bozeman area?

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    Okay. I mite bite! I like!

So, where does one get Edge Bright in the Bozeman area?
    Interesting question. Might be tough in Bozeman, but this stuff is popular for steelhead patterns, so any PNW fly shop should have some in stock.

pittendrigh: What sizes does "Willy" tie these in? The only problem with Edge Bright, is that it is too thick for smaller patterns, but these examples have inspired me to try some of these out in larger sizes come spring.

teachmarkey: Like others, I would favor midges. Simple patterns like thread body zebra (black thread, silver rib) or blood midges (red thread, silver rib) are deadly. In smaller sizes (<#16) I usually use mercury glass beads for the head, and omit any thorax. I also like red thread midge larva tied on something like a Daiichi 1150 ribbed gold wire and no weight in various sizes for the winter months.

My 2 trout rivers are "blown-out" and have been for several weeks while they try to lower the lakes to winter pool and it keeps raining just about time they want to stop turning water lose so they keep releasing water. I have been hitting the farm ponds and having good luck fishing a weighted black leech and fishing it slow with short twitches.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Stafford pond was always my favorite for trout and also crandel pond. You can also fish lincoln woods. For stafford pond and lincoln woods, you are going to want to get down deep. Try streamers there and dries at crandel pond. Where about in RI are you? I used to live in E. Prov., Cranston and capital hill in Providence.

+ Reply to Thread