From above: "While we can tie a fly to look like a plastic worm, our efforts seldom work as effectively. Primarily because our restrictions on weight and materials used mean that the fly doesn't move like the worm."

Long before the plastic or rubber worm as they were called you'd find the Uncle Josh's Pork Rind products in amost every bass fisherman's box. (frogs, strips twin tails, eels and more) They worked as well or even better than today's worm products and still do but they are messy, and dry out if not cared for plus you need to keep them in a watertight jar. Many years ago I tried imitaing the rubber worm with a fly but thiuking of the old pork rind eel, I quickly migrated to rabbit fur and chamois strips. I have used them from five to 12" long with and without lead eyes and they are deadly. My best big bass getter is a purple black strip with the fur shaved off except for a paddle tail of fur and with weedguards to help with fouling. I use a bit of shapplen palmered on for a head.

Good luck and although a smaller strip eel will catch a lot more bass, always keep a nine to 12" one handy for those ten lb plus critters.