+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass Worms

Hybrid View

Default Bass Worms

I've tied a few of these over the past couple of years for Largemouth Bass, but really haven't used them much yet. Blue/Black is supposed to be a good color combination for bass, so I tied this one up last night:

For you guys that DO fish these (or something similar), do you have better luck with heavier versions hopping along the bottom...or lighter version swimming shallow/mid-depth?

When I used to spin-fish for bass years ago, I would have pretty good luck with plastic worms on 1/16 oz jigheads...just heavy enough to hop, but light enough to slowly swim it as well.
    Also...has anyone ever experienced issues with the chenille "unravelling" on these? I DID melt the end of it...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I tied something VERY simular to this a couple years ago also... I never fished it much either, or ever I don't think. I was going along the line that it resembled a rubber worm, I think this will have better action though. I think it would work. I sometimes fish rubber worms on the bottom, and sometimes I throw them completely weightless... it's up to the fish. Wish I could tell you more about it, but I'm glad you posted this. You can see mine at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5323203&type=3

I have a couple of worm flies that have not been used the one I like the looks of the best is made of two strands of olive catcus chennile tied at the tips with a red section of marabou, my version of a firetail on a plastic worm, then furl the strands to the length you like; secure to the hook and wrap forward; tied off and add a black hen hackle.

The only way I have found to keep medium or larger chenille from unraveling is to furl two pieces together.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I've never used a fly like that, or tied one. I have fished unweighted plastic worms and the bass usually hit on the fall (DUH) fairly close to the surface 2 or 3 ft. down. I have another question though, how deep is deep for a fly? I fish jigs and worm rigs 15 or 20 feet, but that seems unworkable for a fly.
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

I had the same thought... and that has A LOT to do with why I never fished them. On a spinning reel you can be more versitle as far as how deep you want to fish... I don't see you being able to effectively fly fish with one of these any deeper than maybe 6-8ft??? I'm deployed right now but when I get home I'm planning a smallmouth trip in MO somewhere... Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on using them for smallmouth?

I think, and it has been shown, worm like flies can be effective for bass. Unless you like chunking lot of split shot and have a lot more patience than I do, you are going to need to target the bass when they are shallow. But along weed lines you should be able to catch some fish, I think I still have a foam floating snake head to be used with a plastic worm that could be made into a fly. I have never fished streams for smallmouth but I would think drifting them along seams would be effective.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread