+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simms vs. Patagonia

Hybrid View

Default Simms vs. Patagonia

Ok. Xmas is over and there is some extra cash laying around for a new pair of waders. Ive been wearing Simms Classic Guides since 2002 or 2003 with out any problems (yes literally no problems). Ive put some hard miles on them from the Sierra Nevadas in CA to the Midwest where I currently reside. Wanted to get peoples opinions on Simms vs. Patagonia. Ive heard good things about Patagonia and we have all heard good things about Simms. Ya I know they all leak at some point. But recently I have looked up reviews of the 2 companies and there has been some negatives about Simms G3's and G4's leaking after a couple of years or minimal use. I can understand if you are a guide and putting 100 + days on the water a year but for us 30 a year day folks I just cant fathom it.

Would like to know peoples opinions through their own experiences with these two companies. Like Days fished, waders you wear etc... Im looking to buy either the G3's or G4's and also throwing around the idea of Patagonias top of the line wader.

Thanks,
    Richard

I bought a pair of Patagonia waders in 2001 before a trip to Alaska. They worked great on that trip and for the next six years. They developed a leak in the ankle of one leg, so I took them to the Denver Patagonia store to ask about getting them repaired. They didn't repair them, they replaced them. I am still using the pair they gave me with no problems. I use the waders about 20 days each year.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    I bought a pair of Patagonia waders in 2001 before a trip to Alaska. They worked great on that trip and for the next six years. They developed a leak in the ankle of one leg, so I took them to the Denver Patagonia store to ask about getting them repaired. They didn't repair them, they replaced them. I am still using the pair they gave me with no problems. I use the waders about 20 days each year.

Ted
    I have never owned Patagonia waders, but my experiences with other Patagonia products I own is similar to yours. The waterproofing on my old SST rain jacket, for example, wore out after over 10 years of use and when I inquired about gettting it repaired they sent me a new one at no charge.

I have several pair of Simms waders, and other Simms products, and have been buying Simms waders for (what?) 20 or more years. So, it should be obvious that I like their products. However, invariably when I return anything to Simms for repair, even after 2-3 years of moderate use, I always end up being charged for the repairs.

After Simms charged me about $75 for repairing numerous pin hole leaks in my 2 year old waders about 3 years they developed more leaks soon afterward. (Personally, I think it was the material, not the usage that caused the leaks, but that's another story.) So, I got a tube of Aquaseal and used the entire tube on about 50 areas that looked like places that might be leaking. The waders have been bone dry ever since ---at least that should be a testimony for the effectiveness of Aquaseal!

My original Simms Guide waders lasted eight years until the seam with the neoprene booties started to leak. I paid to have the boots replaced, but the repair did not worked. Simms ended up selling me a new pair of waders at a forty percent discount, which I thought was reasonable. I have used the new waders for two years with no problem. Patagonia probably would have replaced the waders for no charge.

The biggest potential functional difference between Simms waders and Patagonia waders is that Simms high end waders are made with Gore Tex while Patagonia uses their own waterproof breathable material for their waders. My personal experience has been that Gore Tex garments breathe significantly better than other water proof/breathable materials. I have two Patagonia breathable rain jackets (a wading jacket and a lightweight parka) and neither breathes as well as a heavier weight Cabelas Gore Tex parka that I own.

I you wear your waders in warmer weather, waders that breathe better will be more comfortable.

Lightbulb Can't speack to Patagonia ...

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMAN View Post
    ...Would like to know peoples opinions through their own experiences with these two companies. Like Days fished, waders you wear etc... Im looking to buy either the G3's or G4's and also throwing around the idea of Patagonias top of the line wader....
    ... since I have had only Simms. Over the past eight years I've had two pair. The first pair was their bottom of the line model and the current pair is a step or two up. The first pair lasted four years and was still serviceable for most conditions, although I probably wouldn't have wanted to fish midwinter is SE Idaho in them. The current pair has about four years on them and do leak in the lower right leg, but not so much that winter fishing is a concern.

Over those eight years, I've fished well over 1000 days. About half of that is wet wading ( mostly in Simms sandals ), so figure about 500 days in waders, split roughly in half between the two pair, and the current pair probably has at least one more season in them, so they could end of being serviceable for something over 300 days.

Other than the GoreTex factor, which I consider very important, there is the fit consideration. I wear a size 11 boot, which is a bit outsized for someone who is 5'8" and doesn't want several inches of extra crotch and leg material getting in the way. Simms had a model that fits my foot nicely and fits my frame reasonably well - that is something you won't find with all wader manufacturers, at least not last time I checked around. Don't know about Patagonia, nor whether you take a standard fit or something a bit more demanding.

Also, while Simms did charge $50 to rehab my waders after a couple seasons, they did a great job - like getting back new waders, except for the really bad stains.

John

P.S. Regarding the fit thing - don't know if Simms still does it, but as of a few years ago they would build a "custom" wader to match your body / boot combination.
    The fish are always right.

Like I said I have been wearing my Simms Classic Guides since 2002 or 2003. Just know that I have put some miles on them and alot of them were all day events sometimes several in a row. I have just been reading mixed reviews about Simms waders lately that have made me think of purchasing or trying other brands. Paying a significant amount for waders and then having them leak after a few years wont cut it for me. I treat my gear well but by no means do I hold back when on the water. Like I said prior 30-35 days fishing maybe, the guys that are having their high dollar Simms waders leak after a season or 2 must be tearing them up streamside. Or at least that is the only logical answer I can think of. Maybe I have been spoiled with absolutely no leaks or issues with a pair of their waders but am definitely looking out for my dollar and want to spend it wisely.

Yes I do agree about the fit of Simms they are comfy. I have also owned big box store waders and probably lost 5-10lbs sweating my !@# off in them in the dead of summer. Gortex is definitely a great material. As far as the Simms return policy I have never used it (lucky), but I have heard from others that they do charge for returning them for warranty issues.

Thanks for the replies,
    Richard
    Last edited by FIREMAN; 12-27-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Gore-Tex vs. some generic undisclosed material. USA vs. Asia. No contest.
    Sure, after (?) years Patagonia will send you a new pair. They paid under $50. in the first place. Simms on the other hand... Last time I checked, you could replace the booties, including size, on Simms for $50.
    Disclosure: I am a diehard Simms customer. Just so you know.

+ Reply to Thread