+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pontoon boat

Hybrid View

Default pontoon boat

Would like any opinions you all have on the Scadden boats.I am looking at the Skykomish Sunrise.I currently have one of the Venture outdoors modular ones,but i am a big guy and would like something a little better suited for heavy water.I would like to stay around the $1k range.Also considering a frameless one.All input appreciated...Thanks

Good morning and Merry Christmas!

My best friend, who spends the summer next door to me on the Yellowstone River in MT has this boat, which he uses mostly for lake fishing, but has also fished with it in the Yellowstone River, and on other rivers. I haven't used his boat myself, but since I fish with him a lot, I have some knowledge of it based on his comments and what I've seen.

Overall, I believe this is a reasonably solid, well thought out, boat. My friend, who's about 6' 2" and 175#, says he now would prefer to have a somewhat smaller boat for lake fishing (one that's a bit easier to transport, and catches less wind out on the lake), but it's okay for moderate river fishing.

I helped him assemble it when he bought it several years ago, but the instructions that came with the boat weren't especially good, and it was a pain in the "you-know-what" to get it together for the first time. A couple of the frame parts didn't quite fit together, and Scadden said "just bend them to fit". UGH! Also, the anchor for it was missing in the initial shipment, and took a few go-arounds over the telephone until it finally arrived.

I do not have first hand knowledge of Scadden's written warranty policy, and his track record for servicing his boats, but would want a good understanding of this before I would buy one of his boats.

Although Scadden lists this boat as suitable for Class IV whitewater, for a big guy like you on "heavy" water, I would personally want a boat that is somewhat larger, and with bigger oars and heavier oarlocks, but that's just my opinion. Then again, a good, larger boat would cost more.

This boat might handle big water for you okay, but I would feel better myself on a larger watercraft in significant whitewater situations. I wouldn't want to take this 10' 6" boat with 16" dia. tubes, loaded with 600#, down class IV whitewater, as Scadden shows it is capable of handling. (I've taken my 11' 3", 19" dia. tube pontoon, that is much sturdier than Scadden's boats, down Class III-IV whitewater, but wouldn't feel comfortable with a smaller boat, with smaller oars, frame, etc.)

John

http://www.steelheader.com/ These guys make a good one. 1K may be a bit light though.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

While North Fork Outdoors makes a very good product, I too question the wisdom of using something like this in heavy water. For lakes and lighter waters (up to light Class III rivers maybe) it would serve, but for a truly heavy river, I'd agree with John R.'s advice. Others may have more experience to speak from, but I've had at least one friend have a really bad experience with that standing platform as well. Several friends have various Outlaw models and really like those, but they mostly just fish still water. Good luck.

I owned a Skykomish Sunrise among others, and while it's a fine boat, I prefer the Outcast boats I've owned (and currently own). I had some small problems with my frame fitting together well also, and had some customer service issues too. I've also had better service from my Outcasts and their customer service has always been top-shelf.
    Last edited by DarrinG; 12-25-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Mark 1:17

I love my Outcast PAC 9000 quad toon. Very shallow draft with wide toon foot print and blows around little in the wind. Also gives you a reserve toon on each side to get you home should a leak develop. Like all these size toon, I think a class III is enough.
    Max

I have owned and still own several Scadden Pontoons. The pontoons are USA made , not many companies can say that anymore. I had the 11'6" 12" diameter Cardiac Canyon for 10 years and finally sold it with no leaks..ever. I really like the U toons now however. They are more stable than any dual pontoon. When wind blows you do not turn sideways, you stay nice and straight. I now have the Outlaw X5, the Assault XX, and the Rnegade. The X5 uses the same frame as the Sky. Great frame! A lot of extras available as well like the Magnum rear deck, sweet! They have 16" diameter toons but the U shape makes them able to haul much more weight. The tuff outer cover is awesome. As I said, I have owned NFO for close to 20 years and NEVER had a leak. I might add, I am a stillwater junky and I am on the water at least 3 days a week during soft water.

The other nice thing about the frameless models is the weight. Very easy to pack. And for me, nothing beats bladderless. River Rafts have been using them for years.

As for your question, the Sky is a sweet ride, but I would look at the U models, or even the Assault.

+ Reply to Thread