+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing guides

Default Replacing guides

Hi,
    I figure that this is the place to ask this. I have a Redington 9' 9 wt that I used in salt, stupidly did not rinse, checked a month later and saw the guides were a bit corroded. Now, if I do this, can I cut the windings on one side of the guide, pop the guide out, rewind the cut side then rewind the uncut? I have a very old winding jig, made from the Field and Stream article, which I still have, about 40 years ago. I am torn between selling the rod or just giving this a try to see how it goes.
    I appreciate any input and the best of the holidays to you all.
    Mike

Measure carefully where each guide goes. Remove all the guides (carefully, as if I should need to say that!), clean up the rod, and re do the guides, bright and shiny and new. Hold the feet in place with a TINY piece of masking tape, or, if you know someone with braces, ask them for a few rubber bands they use for the braces. They do a remarkable job of holding the foot in place while you wrap the other side.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Betty is right. Your shortcut, while not a horrid idea, will probably not work. The problem will be that the guide feet will likely not be the same as what you are pulling off.

You can slice the thread as you mentioned on both sides of the guide and with a little sideways pressure the guide will pop off. The thread will mostly peel away with only the thread that was not on the foot remaining. That should be able to be unwound. A hair dryer can be used to soften the remaining finish as scrape that off with something like a credit card or cut a scraper out of a coffee can lid (plastic). Clean up with alcohol and you will be ready to re-wrap.

I use these little critters made from small hair ties to hold guides in place. Surgical tubing, the rubber bands used for braces or thin masking tape can also be used but these are fast and reusable! You can test cast with these holding the guides, too.

Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Oh wow!! Those are KEWL!!!! Off to CVS in the morning!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Oh wow!! Those are KEWL!!!! Off to CVS in the morning!!
    Aren't those just slicker than snot on a glass doorknob? They work great for double foot or single foot guides, you can easily move things around if you need to and you only buy them once. I have tried several different beads. Metal ones seem to work best. They grip the hair thingy better than smooth plastic.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Snot on a glassdoor knob, man just when you thought you've heard it ALL!! The little critters may lend themselves to other uses too! I'll be back to get ideas on wrap, sealer and other thoughts.
    Thanks!!
    The best of the holidays to you all.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread