+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Norvise Bobbins?

Hybrid View

Default Norvise Bobbins?

For those that use a Norvise and Norm's bobbin . . . Do you have a bunch of his spools for each color/size thread? How do you manage this?

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Yes. The spools are relatively inexpensive in bulk, 10 for $25.

I get mine from:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4BRCYEYK4H6J84
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I have a Norvise bobbin with 14 spools. I label the thread on the inside of the spool with a Sharpie so it doesn't rub off. (right VEE? lol) I couldn't justify getting the Norvise but I love the bobbin. When I first got my bobbin I hated it because it wasn't returning to my work. REE tried it and it was determined the return mechanism wasn't working right. Called Norm(he actually answered the phone), sent him my return spool and he returned a new one with an extra thread spool. Now I use my old bobbins to hold those extra things like wire, lead, etc.

Jerry

I have three norvise bobbins and about 25 spools with the different color, size/type of thread. Once you use these bobbins for a short while, you will wonder why you never made the switch a long time ago. Norvise makes great products and has outstanding customer service/support.

Jim Smith

You got it, there is no easy or majic way of dealing with this. The easiest way to deal with this problem is have
    multiple bobbiins or spools. An even easier way is to use thread only and a clamp weight (like a clothspin- see Harry Darbee book). I know that buying multiple spools and or bobbins can cost $$$$$$$ but don't we do this all ready? Back in the old days we just used Black and White tread and a clothspin. I think alot of people who use slik for tying, use thread and a clothspin or they should consider it.

The Norvise system requires that you learn and use special or new ways to handle thread and the automatic bobbin, (the automatic bobbin and the bobbin post). Well there is not simple way of dealing with this matter. Maybe in the future we will have a CNC machine that will make our flies and solve our problems. BUT for now what is the reason we tye? For most it is a hobbie and a way of relaxing. Let's relax and have some fun!

Fishin' Jimmy

About the only thing I had to learn when I started using the Nor-Bobbin was to not let go of the thread when I clipped it from the fly or it would retract back to the spool. If I'm not using Pearsall's Gossamer Silks, sometimes with a Wasatch Bobbin sized for the small spools, sometimes with a length of thread and a hackle plier for weight, I use nothing but the Nor-Bobbin. I don't use Norm's vise, but do use a rotary vise with a bobbin cradle, and a stationary vise (copy of an 18th century vise) and have had no difficulties with the Nor-Bobbin.

When you buy a 10 pack of spools from Norm, they come in a nice little plastic box. The colors can be seen through the box and it keeps the thread from getting dusty. What I usually use for thread is Danville's 6/0 waxed (70 Denier) and Gordon Griffiths 14/0. Both lay very flat, can easily be split for dubbing techniques I like and they have been my standard for several years.

Lately I've been using black, white, olive and brown threads on the spools. If I need other colors I just use white and color it with a permanent marker.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I love the Automatic Bobbin. I have three bobbins and about 20 to 30 spools. Since I mainly use Uni thread I store the spools in tubes of similar thread sizes. Sharpie markers have not worked for me. They rub off over time. I have been thinking about using one of those plastic storage divider bins and labeling them with the spool data. That way I would know exactly what the spool was loaded with.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I have been using the Nor-Bobbin for about 1.5 years and certainly one of the best investments I made for fly tying. For managing, I am doing what most others are marking with Sharpie and storing extra spools in plastic container to keep organized. I also made a spool holder with two 3/4” doll rods approximately 3” long mounted to a wood pedestal to store the most common colors spools I use for tying. In between the doll rods I drilled extra holes to store tying tools and this sits on my Nor-Vise table.
    Last edited by popperfly; 12-28-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

The Norvise intrigues me but I yet to decide if it would be a benefit for my tying. I am currently using an HMH Spartan. It's done the job, but I am real curious afar watching Norm's videos. I may just get a the bigger HMH Bench vise. Maybe a Norvise or a Renzetti Traveler. Just curious about the Norvise . . .
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread