+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reduction distance??

Default Reduction distance??

Two extreme greenie questions. 1) I'm using Kathy Scott's measurements for a board. The distances are: 18, 24 and 24 on the pegs. The total length on my calculations is 66 inches total. A 10% reduction should be around 6 inches not the 3 inches. Is it 3 inches per leg a total reduction of 6 inches with both legs?

2) I read some where that the rotation of individual legs was opposite. One leg clockwise and other counter clockwise. Are both legs rotated the same direction?

Like I said- Greenie questions.

It's 6" each leg and both legs must be twisted in the same direction or they won't furl.

You are only a couple of hours away from Louisville so come over to the Kentuckiania Fly Fishing show and let Kaboom1 and I show you some of the tricks to making furled leaders. Feb. 11th at the Fern Valley Conferance Center on Fern Vally Rd. Just off I 65 exit 128 in Louisville. We have a booth up in the front.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

The truth of the matter is that in reality, the ends are twisted in OPPOSITE directions. Twisting in opposite directions is the ONLY way one can 'twist" anything. To see for themselves, all one has to do is to twist a piece of string between the thumb and fore finger of each hand: a common practice among fly tiers who make 'furled' extended bodies.

On the other hand, the practical answer lies in whether or not you layout and twist in a "V" configuration. If so, then Jack's answer is correct when looking at the ends where the twist is being applied. If you think about it, simply envision the 'doubled' ("V") configuration as being straightened out in a straight line and being twisted. No rocket science here.

Kytroutbum,

Since you have received 2 different answers, I do not want you to become confused. You state you are using Kathy's directions so I assume you have 2 legs in the shape of a "V". With this set-up, you will twist both legs in the same directions, lift off at the tippet peg and allow the 2 legs to furl together.

Feel free to ask any questions that come up and if you can, take Jack up on showing up at the show. You will learn a lot from him and Kaboom1 plus have a great time.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thjanks ffor the kind words Warren.

Kytroutbum;
    Stick with Kathy's formula and you'll do fine. Hope to see you at the show.

+ Reply to Thread