+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AN EARLY DECEMBER DAY - Readers cast (Vic Schaefferkoetter) Dec 19, 2011

Blog Entries

Default AN EARLY DECEMBER DAY - Readers cast (Vic Schaefferkoetter) Dec 19, 2011

AN EARLY DECEMBER DAY

I'm fully aware that with one or two exceptions Missouri is not an "end destination" for fly fishing for trout. However, we are blessed with several "wild trout" fisheries that provide opportunities for those of us who don't care for the park atmosphere. I'll tell of a day of fishing one of these precious jewels of the Ozarks if I may be indulged to not mention its name. It is a delicate fishery and will suffer from much pressure.

Blog Entries

Where were you fishing? I grew up in Lebanon. I now live in Hawaii. I still return once in a while to fish Bennett (Niangua just below) and just see the old town I grew up in. Keep planning to fish the rivers in northern Arkansas, but never do. I think it is a nostalgia thing.

3. Default

I live in S W Mo & there are several places within easy driving distance to fish cold & warm water. I do it often now that I've joined the ranks of the retired.

Blog Entries

Crane Creek?

Nice story Vic....I love that stream and you are correct by telling your story with the one caveat:

I'll tell of a day of fishing one of these precious jewels of the Ozarks if I may be indulged to not mention its name. It is a delicate fishery and will suffer from much pressure.
    All of the smaller wild trout streams can offer similar experiences one just has to get out there and explore. It's a lot more fun when you "discover" these places yourself and the MDC has more than enough help on their web site.

6. Default

& Capps creek
    & Hickory creek
    & turnback creek
    & Williams creek
    & Stahls creek
    & Center creek

Thank all of you! It was a surprisingly enjoyable day. No, I won't name it and not of any desire to keep it for myself. It receives enough pressure as it is. I don't recall how many Blue Ribbon areas there are in Missouri but I was surprised at their number. They're definitely worth ferreting out but please, treat the areas and the fish with the care and respect they deserve. If we don't, it's a certain bet they will be fished empty and trashed.

+ Reply to Thread