One thing I did not mention is how the furled leader I use helps with nymph fishing without an indicator. I have made many furled leaders since purchasing Kathy Scott's furled leader DVD and have tweaked her formula so that I have my leader board set up to create a 5', 6' or 7' leaders just my moving the pegs. I find that I like a 6' leader the most. I have made my furled leaders from just about every material out there and have not found anything that works as well as one made from Berkley Vanish Transition Gold fluorocarbon. What I like about it is that it sinks faster than any other material I have tried. Most of the time, I cannot see the end of my fly line unless the water is very clear. Using the Vanish Transition Gold furled leader is a lot like using a mini sink tip fly line. In my opinion, this fast sinking furled leader also helps with getting my fly down deeper and quickly.

DUB - I liked your reference to the bass fishermen to pretend they are fishing a plastic worm on a tight line. I have told people to pretend they are tight line fishing for cat fish which seems to help them to understand the technique. I feel the most important part is to maintain as straight a line to the fly as they can and keep the rod tip down close to the water. If the rod is held up, it allows a belly in the fly line and you will not see or feel the "take".

Just to throw a little humor in, I was working with a young man on the river one day and as I stood beside him I saw his fly line heading upstream and he never set the hook. I told him that I know that I tie some "great" flies, but, they do not know how to swim and when his fly line is heading upstream, he really should set the hook!

There are several fly fishing techniques out there and they are all good and it would be wise to know how to use all of them well enough to be successful.

Tight lines......