+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NYMPH FISHING WITHOUT AN INDICATOR "101" - Readers cast (Warren Patterson) - Dec 19

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default NYMPH FISHING WITHOUT AN INDICATOR "101" - Readers cast (Warren Patterson) - Dec 19

NYMPH FISHING WITHOUT AN INDICATOR "101"

I have read several "posts" on FAOL from members who have tried nymph fishing and feel it's too difficult and "dead drifting" nymphs is the only way I fish and I feel it is not that difficult. I will not say that it is easy, but, it is not hard either. Once you learn the technique, I feel most will find it, like me, to be a very enjoyable way to fish. What follows is how I nymph fish without an indicator but this is not meant to be the only way. It is just how I do it and maybe using some of my techniques will help those who are having problems.

Warren:

Nymph Fishing Wiehtout An Indicator "101", is a excellent article on nymphing without using indicators.

What many anglers fail to understand that the speed of the water in the stream, varies with the depth and currents. Many time the indicator on the surface will not give you the "heads-up" that there is a fish interested in you fly pattern...

Well Done! ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Parnelli,

A "well done" coming from you means alot to me! Thank you....

What I described is the way I fish 99% of the time and enjoy every second of it and I hope others give it a try.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Most of my 30+ years of nymphing has been without an indicator aswell. Depth does not dictate whether I will use an indicator. How far the cast is, and how many conflicting currents my fly line will be crossing to get to the holding area does. The biggest problem that i have noticed with beginners, and veteran nymph fishers alike is, most become fixated on their bobber. Yes, it's a bobber, and I use it aswell. Warren you mentioned watching your line when not using an indicator. I submit that you still watch your line even if you have an indicator on. The indicator is normally placed on the heavyest part of the leader. The butt section. I have yet to see where the line runs directly under the indicator. Normally it juts out in the direction of the nymph (s). that little section of line is what I watch when ever possible. Barring 40 to 50 foot casts in heavy water, thats practically 99% of the time. In my opinion, and thats all it is an opinion, if I am relying on an indicator to move, I feel I have probably been missing 75% of my strikes. By missing I mean not even realizing that the fish was on my fly at all. I have taught a few people to nymph fish over the years. The easyest for me to teach were a couple bass fishermen from Kansas. After an hour or so I told them think of it as hooking a bass on a plastic worm , but the bass will only take the worm as its dropping. A light turned on over their heads and they did pretty darn good the rest of the day. Once they started concentrating on line movement where it enters the water, they did well.
    With or without an indicator, it will pay divedends to learn both methods, and know when to apply one method over the other.

Excellent article and very informative. I use indicators most of the time but after reading this I will definitely try this technique. Explains allot of lost fish!

Thx's
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I also am a dedicated line watcher. As I fish on ponds most of the time I keep the line perpendicular to the rod. Lets me see the movment better.

Great Article.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread