+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Restores completed

Hybrid View

Default Restores completed

Havent posted here in awhile and have been doing some restoration work. The first rod is a Heddon 20 from the 1930's. This was the guys Greatgrandfathers and needed a total restrip and redo plus a grip. Ready to fish another generation. The second rod is an old Shakesspeare spinning rod with Wonder Reel from Shakespeare. The rod was a restrip and redo also minus the grip. I felt that the grip was in good shape with plenty of fish karma left for another go round.

Fireman

Very nice job, I know where there a old Heddon bamboo rod, probably sitting in the corner, I replaced the thread on one end of one guide over 25 years ago. The owner's next door neighbor gave it to him and he doesn't fly fish at all. Although I am not a fan of bamboo rods I would like to see it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it.

The Wondereel brings back memories of envy when that was the top of the line for push button fishing. Nice job on restoring that rod also.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    The Wondereel brings back memories of envy when that was the top of the line for push button fishing.
    Jesse,
    That reel is a model 1810. It is not a push button reel. It hangs from the bottom of the rod like a spinning reel. To cast, you grab the line with your finger and turn the crank backwards about a quarter turn. This releases the line, then you make your cast. I have my Fathers and my Grandfathers model 1810's. Great old reels.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom1 View Post
    Jesse,
    That reel is a model 1810. It is not a push button reel. It hangs from the bottom of the rod like a spinning reel. To cast, you grab the line with your finger and turn the crank backwards about a quarter turn. This releases the line, then you make your cast. I have my Fathers and my Grandfathers model 1810's. Great old reels.

Brad
    Yea, I used to have one of those old Shakespeare reels but mine was a dark green. I though I still had it but can't seem to find it anywhere. They were nice reels.

Great job on both rods. That old Heddon really shines.

Dave

I remember a guy back home when I was a kid who used one of the reels that hung under the bottom like a spinning reel, I think it was the only one I every saw. I think Shakespeare made a casting rod version with a thumb button also that was one of the better spincast reels out there. The reel in the bottom left hand corner and the rod handle on top of my shadowbox was my first fishing tackle that didn't involve a cane pole. The lure in the center of the 4 snapshots was my fire fishing lure, from the same Christmas, 1957.
    Shadowbox 2.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

No flies on either of those rods. I think the Heddon is my favorite as well.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread