+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rods do you own?

I have a little over 20 rod for sure (do not want to make an accurate count). This includes 4 spey rods, a couple of Swithches, and 4 boos. I do both fresh and salt water fly fishing and feel I need this arsenal.
    Max

Blog Entries

1,3,3,3,3,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,5,5,5,7,7, and whatever I got from Dad

It's kinda like guns. And fly reels. It is not possible to own too many. I am afraid to count them. But it's not enough, I'll guarantee that.

Bob

I own somewhere north of 30 fly rods, not exactly sure. All single handed ranging from 2 to 9 weights. Most of them were built by me, with a handful of factory builds thrown in for good measure. Nothing fancy, just good casting fishing poles.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I'm kind of in the same boat as Brad above. I've got 36 flyrods. Six bamboo, eight fiberglass and rest graphite. I built about a third of them myself and bought the others, mostly used, from people around the country (several from this board). I guess it's kind of a disease but I like fishing different weight and length rods, so I have everything from 6 foot 2 weights to 9-1/2 foot 8 weights. Brands include Sage, Winston, Cabela, TFO, Echo, Orvis, Fenwick, Heddon, Southbend, Eagle Claw and others I can't remember. The ones I made are on blanks from Tiger Eye, Pac Bay, Batson and Fenwick.

You can get some great buys by buying used rods from around the country. I've bought a lot for half or less than the original retail selling price. For example, someone has a 6 foot, 2 weight St. Croix Avid for sale in the For Sale section today. That's a $240 rod and he's asking $100 for it including shipping. If I didn't already have a 6 foot 2 weight, I'd be checking that one out.

Dave

A number of years ago, my youngest daughter Ally and I were in Montana, fly fishing for six weeks and we had stopped by a small shop in Red Lodge - just before dinner at the Hotel Jerome. During dinner, I came up with an excuse to sneak back down to that shop where I picked up a custom, 7 1/2' , 4wt. bamboo rod. When I came back with the rod tube in my hand, my daughter gave me my sig. line.

Somewhere along the line, I learned what ENOUGH is...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    A number of years ago, my youngest daughter Ally and I were in Montana, fly fishing for six weeks and we had stopped by a small shop in Red Lodge - just before dinner at the Hotel Jerome. During dinner, I came up with an excuse to sneak back down to that shop where I picked up a custom, 7 1/2' , 4wt. bamboo rod. When I came back with the rod tube in my hand, my daughter gave me my sig. line.

Somewhere along the line, I learned what ENOUGH is...

PT/TB
    Problem for some of though is that we don't know where we are on that line. And actually, we don't care.

Dave

I have seven fly rods in three to eight weights. I use three of those rods a lot, but the other ones do get fished in the course of a year. I'm sure that I'll end up with a few more.

I count about 18 fly rods plus a few spinning and casting rods. In the past year I think I have used 5 or 6 of the fly rods.

Sage DS2 590-4 (my very first Sage rod and a favorite to this day)
    Sage SLT 590-4
    Sage XP 590-4
    Sage Z-axis 690-4
    Sage Z-axis 490-4
    Sage ZXL 490-4
    Sage Flight 890-4
    Sage Flight 480-2

TFO TF 4/5 126 4 DC Spey Rod

I love 5 and 4 wt rods. I use slower action rods for dry and fast for steamers, wets and nymphing. As you can see I am partial to Sage. Love their action. The TFO Spey rod has been a blast to learn two-handed fishing on. Poppy the owner of the Red Shed Fly Shop turned me on to this rod.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread