+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many rods do you own?

Hybrid View

Default How many rods do you own?

I ask the question because at the beginning of the year, I was looking at my fly fishing stuff and well, it was reminiscent of tournament bass tackle. I do that too and understand the "need" for a dozen rods on deck, hundreds of pounds of lures and so on. I fly fish for fun, period. I am a bass fisherman because I get paid to do so. I guide and fish some of the regional tourneys but over the course of time, it became more work than fun. I will not let that happen to the long rods as well.

So anyway, looking at 20 or so fly rods standing in my fishing room, I started to pear down the collection, sold most, gave a few away along with flies, reels, boxes, vests and packs until I am where I am now. My list....

00 Weight Sage TXL
    4 Weight Sage TXL
    8 Weight Redington Predator

And of course reels to match each.

A lot of us are gear "collectors". Ever find it more enjoyable to simplify and just fish? I certainly have!

Let's see...
    one 3wt 5'9" Fenwick HMG
    one 4wt 7' PacBay
    one 6wt 9' American Tackle
    one 8wt 8'6" rebuilt fiberglass (circa '72)
    one 8wt 9' rebuilt Gander Mt. rod

and one 5wt 8'6" PacBay that components are on the way for to be built this winter.
    Last edited by PA Dave; 12-16-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

One 8' 6" 4 wt (St Croix), one 9' 6wt (Orvis Clearwater), one 10' 9wt (TFO Pro), one 12' Iwana (Tenkara) , one13' 6" Amago (Tenkara) and a 9' something weight from Walmart. I would like to have a short 2 or 3 wt from small streams..

I've probably been through 20-30 fly rods. I've reduced my quiver down to four.
    Homemade 7', 3 piece, 4 weight bamboo refurb.
    Ross Essence FW 8 1/2', 4 piece, 5 weight.
    Homemade 7 1/2', 4 piece, 5 weight Batson RX 7.
    Wright McGill, Eagle Claw 7', 6 weight fiberglass Featherlight.
    If I could, I would add only one more. A 7 1/2', 2 tip, 4 weight Ron Kusse, Black Troll.
    All my fishing is now from a jon boat or pontoon.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Last time I looked about 7 or 8 single hand flyrods and another 6 or 7 two handed fly rods. I used to own about a dozen two handers but sold a few because I didn't use them. I also have a number of spinning rods and a handful of bait casters. Without gathering them all up and counting them I would guess 20 or so.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I have 48 fly rods rods ranging from 2 to 13wt. Sage, Loomis, Powell (from when Powell family owned company), Orvis, St. Croix, J.Kennedy Fisher, Winston, Redington, Scientific Anglers, Cortland, Lamiglass, Cabelas, TFO, Pac Bay, Fly Logic. Some of these rods will be sold or be given away. I sold or gave away seven or eight others and broke 2 that I didn't get repaired. 12 were given to me, including 5 custom builds. 6 were raffle prizes. Some, both used and new, were acquired in barter exchanges. Only 6 were purchased at full retail price. I also have loaners and my wife fishes too. For some of my fishing, it is not unusual to have 6 or 7 rods in the boat all rigged and ready to cast. For a day on the ocean with another angler just getting into the saltwater game, and who doesn't have much or any gear, I might take a dozen rods between 7 and 12wt rigged and ready.

I don't consider myself a collector and, yes, most of these rods actually do get used during the year, though the 10 through 13 wts haven't seen action for a couple of years due to the absence of tunas the last two seasons.

I also have 7 or 8 each spinning rods, FW and SW baitcasting rods, and heavy duty conventional stand up saltwater rods. Again, many of these get loaned out.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 12-16-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    One 8' 6" 4 wt (St Croix), one 9' 6wt (Orvis Clearwater), one 10' 9wt (TFO Pro), one 12' Iwana (Tenkara) , one13' 6" Amago (Tenkara) and a 9' something weight from Walmart. I would like to have a short 2 or 3 wt from small streams..
    Build or have someone build you a 6' 2wt sevier, they are fantastic to fish with.
    This came on one my wife was using this afternoon

Only one or two, you can ask my wife!

A Winston pre im6 two piece #5. Caught a lot of fish. Started with that rod, bought a lot of others, finishing up with that rod.

You may remember that a little over 3 weeks ago I found an interesting way to get rid of a couple of rods, so my rather meager inventory had a couple of rather obvious holes in it. That is until today, when a package arrived from Colorado Custom Rods. He may play Santa for the Cub Scouts but as fair as I'm concerned Kevin really is Santa Claus. A 8 ft. 5 wt. tiger eye customized for me. Words are not adequate to express the appreciation I have for this unselfish act of kindness.

Rod by Kevin 1.jpgRod by Kevin 2.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread